"The Electric Thunderbird"

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: "The Thunderbird"

I knew i couldnt be the only one who thinks the stock OCC seat is uncomfortable! i did the same thing to the seat on BoB. It feels better, but i think I'm gonna see about putting a standard bicycle seat on it.
A casket-shaped battery box would rock! this build sounds like it will be amazing.

Welcome back, looking forward to seeing your progress.

Alright, the frame is completely brushed raw and ready to weld up the box, here's a 2D mock-up of the casket.
IMG_0379.jpg

Still gotta tweek the angles a bit to get it flush and still fit the battery. What do you all think? I'm thinking the theme is veering from the name... got any suggestions?

Crazy progress this weekend.
IMG_0381.jpg

Scored this Harley wheel from a MC shop. The guy practically gift wrapped it for me so I would take it.
IMG_0391.jpg

Then paint and removing of the rear fender mount.
IMG_0392.jpg

This bad boy is so fat it stands without a kickstand!!!
IMG_0396.jpg

Pedal Powered! Next weekend, battery casket and wiring...

That is looking sick man!!!
Those look like whitewall versions of the same Harley tires I have on Fugsley.
Did you have nay issues with chain clearance?
Are you going to have any rear brakes?
This ride is looking good!!!

The chain barely clears the tire and will probably slap it at high speeds but the tire is so thick I'm not worried about it. No brakes in the back yet, I don't have regular access to a welder so I haven't extended the brake arms but I really want to. It's probably a good idea to have front and back brakes considering how fast I'll be going... who's done this before?

Oh duh, Just reread Black and Blue build and Fugsly, sounds like an easy fix on those brakes. Very Cool. I was also debating wether or not to worry about the chain seeing as how I don't plan on doing too much peddling...that is unless the cops drive by. Also I was having some issues with the tire sitting center on the rim when I add air to the tube, it ends up giving me that gallop kind of a ride, no fun when coming down the hill. Anyone know how to fix this? for now I just aired down until it sat right, the rubber is thick enough to hold me up no problem.

The tires are solid enough to hold up, but you really need the tube with air to push the beads of the tire against the rim. I didn't have any problems getting mine to center. Maybe lay the bike on it's side and hold the rim centered while putting air in the tube.

My chain rubs if I hit some big bumps, but like you said, there is not much to worry about. It could rub it continously and the tire wouldn't get hurt until you put 20K miles on it.

Hey, thanks for the pointer. I laid the bird down, put the air in to about 20 something psi and it was straight and tight. I had some time tonight to throw on my brake levers, horn, ignition, throttle, mirror and grips. I'm gonna run the front brakes tomorrow and pick up some metal for the casket. Then it's on to the headlamp, which I am very puzzled as to how to mount it but...one step at a time!

Ok I got anxious to high speed test so I painted the ammo box my battery was in and wired it all up. So now presenting(sans brakes) ......THE ELECTRIC THUNDERBIRD v2.0.......
IMG_0409.jpg

Back