The Fake Jaguar Thread

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The engine starts and runs ok, but at maybe 60hp right now. It needs more compression. I’ve only been able to push this up to 55 with two people in it, but that was with a clogged up carb.

Air cooled VW, however are no big mystery to me. I have built a few.

The body needs minor details, carpets and upholstery, but otherwise it’s pretty shiny. It’s a heavy body and not a racing body so most of it is thick fiberglass.

The other 4 floor ledgers are now, fitted and tack welded in place. They are plug welded to every flute. Today I get to go plug weld the other side.
A244095D-9E51-4D2A-B931-2FFCABE96831.jpeg

I didn’t get in any welding the past couple days but I did spend a lot of time cleaning up my welding area of flammable debris. The neighbor’s trees were dropping lots of leaves. I also changed out my ragged welding curtain. They help keep out the leaves.

I started to make some frame brackets, then l changed my mind about the design. I had forgot completely about plans to strengthen the frame at the door sills.

By adding square tube atop the frame rails, I can make them over 5” tall, but there was an issue.

Some steel tube I had planned for the frame got used in the jig. Since I’m almost done with the jig, I cut those tubes out of it.

But I decided to work on the rear subframe brackets instead. They really need to be sorted at the same time as my main rear frame brackets.

I cut them from this bracket, which once kept the front of a big lawnmower together. Here I have already started sawing it up,
EC7AC1DC-783C-440E-A665-FE3CF78062D6.jpeg

This needs more trimming, but they will fit about here.
3B3EF857-81E2-4A34-A8EC-B1E6FCF5BF7E.jpeg

But that was 1/2” too tall, so I reshaped them some more.
8EFFD906-CF3C-4128-93DD-A647CB6C4DF2.jpeg

26D31B96-A7B8-4AFC-94CE-819750A01032.jpeg

Lots of time has been spent cleaning, etching & fitting parts, and the pan corners. I think I have a plan now…

But these welds are the pits. 2 of 4 are actually missing, by whomsoever welded in these repop floor pans.
4874BF75-5B95-4853-87E3-C75488958F2E.jpeg

Now I gotta weld to a casting. ;( I may make a silicon-brass joint instead.

People have told me it’s ok to weld that without preheat. This is not a big deal.

Trying to set up the subframe perches, Here I have clamped them to a tube, temporarily, for alignment.

DDF7501F-69E0-46F4-9119-9E4446613E96.jpeg

Except, This frame is currently upside down. Those are not perches, but hangers.

Latest posts

Back