The FireBall Eight (time to finish this thing)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So after taking a break from building bikes I decided it was time to pick up where I left off on my build off 9 bike. I had a vision in mind with this bike and did not have time to do all the work that I had planned for it during the build off. first here is what I started with a CWC Road Master:

Here is where it is at now:

You can check out the build progress from the start of this build up here: http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/in...l-eight-moved-to-finished-bikes-thread.84288/

To see more shots of the bike finished for the contest: http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/index.php?threads/the-traditional-build-the-fireball-eight.85720/

So today I went to pick up the final stencil for the bike. I am going to be using this on my chain guard:

I am going to be using this Luxury Liner chain guard. I will be painting the chain guard a new red color to match the red of the Roadmaster graphic on the tank. I then will be placing the "Fireball" stencil close to where the "Luxury Liner" Graphic is now. Then I will paint the chain guard white. There is a picture of a purple and white Merc in the the top left of this photo. I have included it because it has an element that I will be incorporating into the chain guard. I like the shape of how the chrome molding flows on the merc to separate the purple and white on the car. It also reminds me of the chrome trim on the Buick. So I will be adding this feature to the chain guard. which you can see in my drawing on the top right of the picture. Then I will paint the top half of the chain guard with the same gray as the rest of the bike frame.

Today I worked on the layout of the graphics for the chain guard. Here it is roughed in:

Just picture the text in (Ford E4) red. The red part in Ford Performance white or a slightly less vibrant white not shure yet. The green tape will be the same grey as the rest of the bike. The silver stripe will be some sort of silver. I will also mask off the chrome at the front and keep it on the chain guard.

Last edited:
Three hours this morning were spent painting my chain guard. It was nice to work with something that was in nice condition for once. It needed no body work. I just scuffed it and then it was ready for paint.

This first picture is a mid way through paint shot. I started with spraying the Ford E4 Vermillion Red. Then I applied the "Fireball" Stencil then I painted the guard Ford Performance white. Next I masked off the separation line:

Next I painted the grey/silver and masked off the swoosh. This was followed by the Custom mixed Model A type Grey which is on the rest of the bike. The masking was removed and I applied 2 coats of clear:

Today I was able to finish up the front fender body work! It is I spent a lot of hours block sanding this piece so it is straight as an arrow. I love the peak that runs along the centre of this fender.

So now to Start the back fender. Then I will epoxy prime and High Build prime the pair of fenders and give it a final block sand. I am also planning on giving the back side of these fenders a coat of spray in truck bed liner. It should protect them from chipping and rusting. I am going to be painting these grey to match the bike. I want to add Darts/scallops with a red pinstripe to out line them. I am just not sure on the color of the darts. My thoughts are these two ideas: a solid white to match the chain guard or checkers to match the tank either will be outlined in the same red as the text from the chain guard and tank. When I started this build I tracked down someone who does professional pin striping so I plan to eventually have him put some pint stripe on the rear fender.

Last edited:
nice work. I like your idea of bed liner under the fenders. Great idea.

Thank you.

Today I did a test fit of the front fender. It fit pretty nice. Also used the brass screws (same as on the tank) to mount the fender to the braces. I only have one original curved fender brace and I love how it looks the rest are all straight ones. I wish I had the rest of the curved braces maybe someday I will come across a set of curved ones.

Some test fitting today. The rear fender and chain guard. I am still working on the fit of the rear fender. It seems to be a challenge to get it to sit nice and even with the tire.

Back