THE FIRESTONE INSTA-RAT - FORK FIXED

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rat Rod

Owner & Founder
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
Last Sunday as we were heading into church, a lady I know there told me she had an old Firestone bike out in her car that she wanted me to look at. :eek: This was literally three steps before my family and I walk into the Sanctuary. Talk about something you don't need to hear right before you walk in to a worship service for an hour (focus, focus, focus). :43:

She has a booth at an antique mall and she hits a lot of estate sales. She picked it up cheap and and had planned to put it in her booth. She said that the owner was an old man that had recently passed away and this is how he rode it.

I met her outside after church to give her the run down on the bike. The front fork is bent, there are a couple of dings on the top tube and the spokes on the front wheel are corroded pretty good.

Having a soft spot for rats....had to take it home with me. Hard to pass up the skip tooth drive train and the Sears Allstate Safety Tread tires. :D

No idea what year it is, but I found the little knob under the down tube interesting....guessing it was there to keep the forks from flopping.

f1.jpg

f5.jpg

f4.jpg

f3.jpg

image7.jpg

f6.jpg

f2.jpg

" She said that the owner was an old man that had recently passed away and this is how he rode it. "
Cool. My wife's Grandfather rode a bike into his nineties. Up until a week before he died. Never saw his bike, hope it was as ratty as yours!

I really like the simplicity plus those tires. What are you doing with the fork?

Good question about the fork. Over the past year or two I've had a knack for finding bikes with bent forks. I had a chance to buy one of those big old fork jacks a year ago for $50 and passed. :mad:

I could always try backing over it with our SUV. :21:

Cool early days rat,.....I'm Wonder'in were those steps go to though........:eek:

It's ready to go! Snyder made?

With that slight fork bend, I would put a spare wheel and tire on the front, turn the forks backward and run it gently into a solid object, like a brick wall, to get it straight.

I'm thinking that the wheels are mismatched????

The rear is a flat 2.125" rim with a New Departure hub and the front has a step down rim with a ND front hub.

I think that was origionally a middle weight bike. Wheels and drive train from an older bike and possibly stem and bars. I have the same bike badged as a Firestone deluxe cruiser. Would have had truss rods, mine did not have a tank . Nice period Rat! I'd straighten the fork and ride it as is.

Love the bike and couldn't imagine sitting through church thinking of the possibilities.

But, not to get too far off topic...are these tires a hot item? I've had a pair of these Allstate safety thread NOS tires (2.125) that were hanging in my grandfathers garage eversince I was a kid. I never thought too much about them besides the fact that they still have the stickers on them.

are these tires a hot item? I've had a pair of these Allstate safety thread NOS tires (2.125) that were hanging in my grandfathers garage eversince I was a kid. I never thought too much about them besides the fact that they still have the stickers on them.

I remember reading somewhere that those old Allstate tires were made of very tough rubber and last almost forever. I would imagine there must be a collector somewhere that would want em.

Too cool, and a great save.
My brothers at our church are more of the ' yeah. I scrapped a bunch of old bikes last month " types. ( though have had a few walmart and kids bikes tossed my way, and a real nice - keeper, Robin Hood camelback :) .

After looking at the bike closer this evening it may have been a light green color originally.

Somewhere down the line someone spray bombed it a brown color....which is now pretty weathered itself.

Forgot to mention the saggy chain and the rear wheel set back as far as it can go. :21:

I found the little knob under the down tube interesting....guessing it was there to keep the forks from flopping.
Cool score!

My Monark had the same 'little knob' but was broken off when I got the bike. I always assumed that it was intended to prevent the springer fork from hitting the tank. Maybe all of the frames got one regardless of the sheet metal and fork.

100_4577_zps1a0cb868.jpg

Forgot to mention the saggy chain and the rear wheel set back as far as it can go. :21:

I noticed that. Honestly, I'd probably part this thing, and rebuild it with a springer, different wheels, etc. It's a great find, either way.

Back