The Flying Goose..is cooked!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I hope everyone is well and working on their bikes! I have lurked on here awhile now and have decided to try my hand and participate in the RRBBO#6! It was mentioned to use this as a journal as the build progresses, so I must add up front sometimes I will run on and on about nothing and everything as it pertains to my build! :lol: For starters I am going to be 40 this year and I would like to actually accomplish something even if it is just this bicycle!

I am not into it with any ideas of victory mind you, I just want to have fun and try something different in my life! I can't weld or fabricate, but I am going to try this anyway, so far I am impressed with everyones skills on this website, from young to old, from guys to gals!

So with out further ado.......(however that's spelled) here is my bike. It's a Schwinn Tornado, I believe is a 61? Correct me if I am wrong please. It's a barn find, I came across it while looking at a barn that's going to be torn down at a friends place. I gave him $20 bucks for it. It's RUSTY!!

Re: Suicide King..............

One more time.........less imageshack!

_MG_3870.jpg

Well I have managed to at least get the frame stripped down, PB blaster helped, but regular old vinegar works amazing! Thanks to my better half for that little tip! Had to heat up a few odds and ends also!

_MG_3915.jpg

_MG_3920.jpg

_MG_3923.jpg

Wow, a red seat tube! :lol:

_MG_3926.jpg

Here is a pick of my bike stand, sort of, it works and it was a christmas gift last year from my folks. :D

_MG_3921.jpg

and another shot so I can show off my other project.......65 bug! :D

_MG_3922.jpg

I am posting this all in one sitting, but I have been working on the king for about a week or so. As of today, this evening to be more specific this is where I stand. I am not 100% sure where the build is going, I guess I am ignorant to all the trends and what have you. So I guess I am just going to let it talk to me as I progress along.

So far it's telling me it wants to be low and uncomfortable to ride!! :shock:

_MG_3943.jpg

_MG_3942.jpg

Hopefully next weekend I can pick up some parts, I am traveling out to WY, to my grandmothers ranch. There is a large pile of bikes (some mine) that have dumped in a pile. I have been trying to get one in particular for a long time! I hope to post some pics of it! I haven't seen it since around 1980........it was given to my cousin's to ride as my folks deemed I was getting to big for it! :shock: !

So for now I guess I will scrounge around for things, I didn't really want to spend a whole bunch on it, but I suppose at some point I will have to invest in a few things like tires and what not! :lol:

Hope some of you think I am building a neat bike, but in the end I am doing this for myself and just for fun!

Cheers! :mrgreen:

that last pic really makes my mind wander to some crazy places.
way to go man.

I have to agree with some of the others, this is going to be a cool one to watch you bring back from the dead.

The rust on that frame is amazing. And it's still strong, and ready to go another 50 years after this rebuild.

Love the straightbar Schwinn. Hoping I find one someday, I have all kinds of other Schwinns...

Great great pics man, keep up the nice work.

--Rob

THIS LOOKS INTERESTING. I'VE GOT A GOOD FEELING ABOUT THIS. WHEN YOU GET TO THAT PILE OF BIKES YA IDEAS ARE GOING TO GO IN ALL DIRECTIONS. WISH I WAS THERE. GET ALOT OF PICS AND GET TA BUILDIN' PEACE

Updates.......updates........ On friday I went and did what I said I wasn't going to do, spend money on my bike!
I went to one of the LBS and bought a few things, did I need it...........no, but I like it! :mrgreen:

_MG_3952.jpg

I have decided to definitely go with a 20 inch front, I mounted up the white wall with the rim, it looks pretty sweet! Of course the forks don't fit right now, but the grinder says other wise! :shock:

I love all the bikes being built in this friendly competition, I keep looking at them all thinking how I can do some of those things! It would be way to easy to dump a load a cash at this, but what fun is that! I think I have already invested to much money in it, with just a new front wheel and tire! :wink: The tools and stuff, well that's a bit different, a guy always needs more tools and stuff!! :mrgreen:

_MG_3953.jpg

Back