the GoatHead

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
As some of you may know from a previous posting of the seat I tooled for this bike it is called the GoatHead. The day I got it home I took it for a spin just to get a goathead (a spine or thorn from a plant out here in the desert). I was only a few minuted into the ride when I got a flat on the front from a goathead. I fixed it and within 10 minutes had a goathead flat on the back. Thant's when I decided this one will be called the GoatHead. First off I tooled the seat. Here is the start of the bike. Not quite finished but close. I am looking for a early 50's J.C. Higgins badge for the head tube. Any other thoughts or comments are appreciated.

BEFORE: this is how I got it.....
3n23k43oe5Q45P35Se99s0046d4ccb7891e.jpg

After....
DSC02339.jpg

DSC02338.jpg

DSC02336.jpg

gowjobs said:
I'm in awe... having done a little leather carving/tooling, I have some idea of what that took. How is it to sit on? :p
Actually quite comfortable. This one in particular has no padding under the leather but it takes the curve of my ... just right so not too bad.

Sweet ride, got side shots on the seat? also where did you get the Cool Bars from. Been looking for a set for my project.

No doubt! Major kudo's brother. Just curious, since I've done a fair bit of tooling myself, how long did it take you to draw that up and carve it out? And what tool did you use to get the background texture around the goat head? How would you feel about doing some work for me? Shoot me a PM if you'd rather discuss it privately.

Later Travis

Sinner4 said:
Sweet ride, got side shots on the seat? also where did you get the Cool Bars from. Been looking for a set for my project.

I will list some more pics of the seat shortly. The bars are Nirve bars I got from a local shop. Thanks for the compliment.

IronSpadeCycles said:
No doubt! Major kudo's brother. Just curious, since I've done a fair bit of tooling myself, how long did it take you to draw that up and carve it out? And what tool did you use to get the background texture around the goat head? How would you feel about doing some work for me? Shoot me a PM if you'd rather discuss it privately.

Later Travis

The whole seat project took amybe a little longer than a full day of work. That is blasting the frame, painting it then tooling and finishing the leather. The drawing/tool work itself took approx 5.5 or 6.5 hours. The tool in question is a pebbler and seems it is a rare tool to get ones hands on. My girl tracked down a maker of the tool and had a set built for me because much like you, when I saw that effect I has to have one. Thanks for the kind words. oh, and PM sent.

Kool craftsmanship. I wouldn't mind being called an old goat if I looked like that. You are richly blessed with artistic talent. Do you do this kind of work for other people? Just nice to know for future reference.

I found the company that makes the Pebbler tools, are you kidding me? $65 for each size when Tandy leather tools are like $6-$10 each. Too bad Tandy doesn't make one. Owell. Hey I called you and left a message but I never heard back from you. PM me your email so I can send you an image and you can give me a quote of what you think you'd charge to tool it.
Thanks bro. talk soon Travis

rgallen said:
Kool craftsmanship. I wouldn't mind being called an old goat if I looked like that. You are richly blessed with artistic talent. Do you do this kind of work for other people? Just nice to know for future reference.

Thanx. So far it has been for myself but I think it's time to get some work out there.

Back