The Greenway in Grand Forks ND

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
This was my neighborhood for three years before we moved to Florida last year. The Greenway came about when they built 60ft levees on either side of the Red River. They made the interior part a very long park, with bike paths up and down both sides connected with bridges across the river. It seems like you're way out in the country but it's right through the city. They even plow the paths in winter. If you are ever in Grand Forks, take a 20 mile ride on the Greenway.

After the spring melt, they clear the paths of mud and debris. This monument shows how high the water got and what year. The great flood of 1997 is why they built the levees and park.
303fmv8.jpg

A few of us adopted a part of the trail and clean it up a few times a year, but folks are pretty responsible in ND and don't litter that much. The city is good at getting the trails cleared right after a snowstorm.
2nv5f1d.jpg

This is one of the pedestrian/bike bridges crossing the river. They are at either end of the Greenway, allowing you to ride a loop of the system.
29f9q8o.jpg

Looking down the river from the bridge.
2q80kfb.jpg

They have a pathway higher up so you can ride even when the flooding starts. The lower path follows the edge of the river for the most part.
312b8jk.jpg

Are you Crazy....Florida?...Hope you like it there...To hot for me ..Nothing beats Newengland weather with our 4 seasons... :D But there are lot of things to do in FLA..we cant do here..

Florida is fine if you plan your ride accordingly. First thing in the morning, it's in the low 70's, but the humidity is near 100%, so it's too muggy to ride. When the sun starts to heat it up, the humidity drops as it dries out. Before the temp hits the high 80's, you have an hour or two of good riding weather. I usually go out at about 9am and ride til 1030am. Since I work evenings, it works out well, and I miss most of the auto traffic. I wish Jax had bike paths like Grand Forks though.

Back