The Incredible Shrinking Wallet Project

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hi there..

im a new guy. here is my upcoming bank-busting build

the frame:

img0254qy3.jpg

the parts:

img0255wb7.jpg

more parts:

img0256hg5.jpg

this thing wont really be ratty.. infact it's heading towards a 26" 80's bmx style.
the frame has monster dropouts and is aluminum.
everything is ready to go except the seatpost clamp, tires and grips.

so far the parts list is:

vdc cruiser bars
chasertech repo blue quill stem
chris king devolution green top cup, mango bottom
monark whizzer repo forks
chrome 26" forks
pmc blue headset lock
front 72 spoke 26" rim
gt black cranks
black spider
tufneck red chainring
sinz blue chainring bolts
gold kkt copy pedals
odyssey dynatron bb
coalition seatpost dark green
brooks b72 seat
rear red rim 26"

some parts might change and i have a dark blue rear rim, so i will see which color clashes the best with the rest of the bike! the color theme is all over the place with this one. pretty much every anodized color available. on a white powdercoated frame... every bit of color is going to "pop"

im going to try and modify the whizzer monarch to the chrome forks.

should be interesting to say the least!

cheers!!

i like that elgin. nice job!! skull skates is the only company making new cruiser bars with the crossbar. i was thinking of those, but i found the vdc bars on ebay. my chris king devo should arrive to day, so i can see if the bottom base fits over the chrome forks. the pyramid forks have a little lip at the base of the steer tube, so traditional 1" bottom base plates dont fit.
grrr.. frustrating

i also picked up all new hardware for the monark whizzer as the stuff sent with it is poopy.

my goal is to try and use the monark spring section with the chrome forks. so far it looks like everything should bolt up fine.. but that little lip on the forks might not work with the chris king.. so i will have to adjust and modify.

adjust and modify

bike building creedo

cheers!!

Re: The Incredible Shrinking Wallet Project (UPDATED 6.11)

hi..

chris king headset arrived 1.1/8 devo with 1 inch threadless caps.
problem is.. im running a 1" threaded fork. so basically the top of the fork tube pokes out the top of the chris king.. but since its a threadless bearing cap.. i have to tighten the whole thing down with a lock nut.

confusing?

yes.

newimagemb4.jpg

newimage1dl7.jpg

newimage2ir6.jpg

so... i think that the monark whizzer will work with the chrome forks.. (found some old tange fork decals, so i added them. too low.. should have raised the decals a bit! ahhhh too much jim beam and coke! are they rrrreally too low? or am i just nitpicking?)

whew... lost my mind for a second there.

anyways.. the fork assembly seems to work. i have an old pmc headset lock arriving soon. i will put that on the remaining steer tube threads and that should hold everything in place.

also the bb and seatpost showed up today.

i will pound the bb in soon and assemble the cranks.

the frame has a 27.2 seatpost, but when i looked around for seatposts, the only thing available was black and silver. typical mtb stuff.

so i bought a seatpost shim 25.4 to 27.2. only 5 bucks.

the fun thing is that 25.4 is a popular bmx size. so you have much more variety in colors and shapes. now any 25.4 seatpost will fit in my 27.2 frame. so i got a nice alum dark blue seatpost. adds a little color to the madness.

the crank assembly is all old school sweet 80's bmx. black gt cranks, black spider, red chainring, blue bolts, gold pedals. it's gunna be suhweeeet.

i hope.

cheers!!

I'm not normally a fan of the store bought bolt on type of builds but you picked a good setup. Are you going to keep the stock paint or rod it out with a custom job.

Back