The Jua Kali

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Somthing like this...

palv_6.jpg
:lol: :lol: :lol:

On the serious side, you could ditch the blades, and build a nice roof with those tubes...
CurveTubes.jpg

...no rain would stop you... :wink: 8)

JK_10.jpg

Deadline will bring turmoil and chaos and maybe panic!

It's been a busy summer for me. I ride as much as I can. I was sick for a week end with the " green apple two step " that detained me for four days. During the weekend of the 4th I rode to Orleans on the Grunge Rudge to watch the parade on Saturday. On Sunday our Barnstable branch had a float in the Barnstable Village parade which I rode my Vista Swingbike when I wasn't passing out beach balls. On Monday my daughter Beki and I rode our swingbikes in the Wellfleet parade for cleaning service that she works for. The town of Welfleet had scooped up all the dead squirrels but a float that had oysters by the town's fastest shucker was tossing shells out onto the street where we could swing bike over (only in Wellfleet).

It has been very hot and humid here on the Cape, a little early this year for that crap. I couldn't work on the bike. We are back on the track now with our daily dose of sea breeze, it's quite nice now.

I have done nothing on the bike since I last posted, until this weekend, even in the humidity.

I got the rear cargo area/seat up and working and ledgers for the floor boards. I gave these a test tonight with Beki on the back, and as far back as she could get, it rode like she wasn't there. No big deal because I don't think she weighs much over 100Lbs being 5'2".
JK_12.jpg

I'm working on the kickstand and to pick the lower part of the chain up.
One other item that has bothering me was spending 3 bucks on the long brake cable. On Fathers Day weekend when I passed through Hemmings Motor News in Bennington Vermont they had a 48 Indian Motorcycle set up inside the lobby of their gas station. It had an unique way of managing their rear brake rod using two rods and a bell crank. Pretty neat setup that will work with the shorter cable that I have. So removing my store bought cable and setting up a bell crank will put me back at zero cost for this build.

..........and we don't need no stinking deadline...........
JK_11.jpg

Graylock

Floor boards were made from a stair tread made out of bambu. I ripped it with a circular saw. I rounded the corners with a coping saw. The edge was slightly rough so I rubbed the round corners on the concrete driveway to even them out. I also eased the corners with a block plane and sand paper.
JK_13.jpg

I finished the rear seat by covering the foam with a poly padding used in patio chair cushions that I had and some gray wool like hide from a roadkill synthetic wolf like creature. Anything I can find for free is used here.
JK_14.jpg

Tomorrow I'm going to ride the bike to Orleans for lunch at the Cape Cup. I've been riding this bike for a month now and I'm winding down for the final pics with my newly aquired camera.

GL

Posting an udate on the Jua Kali............

Trying to keep cost down to the minimum I changed out the rear brake cable to two shorter cables that I had. The casings that are there remain. I added a bellcrank type device made from brake parts. I drilled a hole in the rear frame essembly and welded the brake stud into it. You also have to enlarge the cable hole a skosh if you want two cables to pass through. Works good and has brought my cost down to zero.
JK_15.jpg

Rode the bike everywhere in Orleans Saturday, it runs great and will be shooting pics soon. To answer all the incoming questions: ............?

GL :lol:

Latest posts

Back