The Junk Yard Dogg

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
alright. im new to this site and somewhat new to building rat rod bikes. i recently got back from the junk yard where i purchased my 2 base bikes for my project for 10 dollars each. im hoping to have this build done buy may 2013 for a show im goin to. ok the first bike and main part of the frame is a huffy surf side. not sure what year it was made. looks fairly new considering it has rust. and the second bike is a fully suspended mongoose mountain bike (only using the rear suspension and drive spokets. maybe the grip shifters.. im sure i will need advise on this build for some things i havent delt with before. as far as plan of attack. it will have air ride front and rear. and sit really, really low. and most likely be very long. im gonna build a trike. maybe even put a small charcoal grill between the rear wheels since itll be used at shows and races. maybe a cooler instead havent decided yet. i kinda want fat wheels on the rear. may need help on that. also i may need help on the rear drive system. i need it to have the 10 or 21 speed setup from the mongoose for goin up a steep hill. ill definately want disk brakes..i am tryin to build this as cheap as possible. alltho the brakes i may get brand new.

564077_438079339572025_1623142341_n.jpg

22525_438079392905353_140779975_n.jpg

ok after stripping the bikes down im left with this.

391626_438104076236218_1431435181_n.jpg

and after a short photoshop run my general idea for the frame is roughly this.

ratframeconcept.jpg

big kountry said:
I'm liken the concept I say go for it
thanks. ive been getting ideas from the rat rod motorcycles. im thinkin about doin some kind of girter/springer forks with the 2 links at the bottom and a cylinder on each side to lift the front. i am gonna do some electric valves tho. i dont much like the manuals

Ok so I'm at work now and just as I was goin on break an idea popped into my head. I've been wanting to build a hubless wheel for awhile now, so I figure being on a budget I can go get some wheel bearings from a couple cars in the jy and pull the needle bearings out of the housings to use inbetween the main wheel and this fixed wheel. Then I caan smooth the inner side of the roller and use some sheet metal to build the fixed. And to make things a tad easier replace the innertube with some great stuff expanding foam. Basicly making a solid tire. And for breaks I can run discs on the rear jack shaft ill have to make

That will be a cool longtail. Good luck!

ok so i started modification to the frame today. havent got pics yet. but i cut out the seat post bar and cut the rear tabs off where the axle slides in. and ground everything smooth. i need to go get a map gas torch so i can get to some bending. then itll be time to relocate the crank. probably sometime in december or after the first of the year ill get the new tubing i need for the actual stretch. the past few days have been a designing nightmare. been trying to come up with a simple and cheap way to make the bearings for the hubless wheels. im now thinking my wheels will be 100% custom made. and my jack shaft configuration was a nightmare too. i may have to change the name of this bike to either jackshaft or chainmail. i have figured out that with a 26 inch hubless whel i will need a 152 tooth spocket for each back wheel. and if my math is correct i will connect that to a 48 tooth on each side of the jack shaft. the main drive casset will be a 7 gear set small end being 13 tooth big side 28. my crank will have 3 gears big being 48t and small being 28. high gear will be 0.86 and low gear will be 3.17. also ive decided to try to use a motorcycle battery or small car battery to power an air compressor for my air ride. again useing the wheels 152T sprocket to spin a 13T jackshaft input to a 48T output and finally a 19T altenator sprocket. according to the math on that one it should spin the alt. at 1511rpm when im riding at 5 mph..... im just crossing my fingers hoping everthing works out the way im planning

frame mods started today. i was worried i wouldnt have enough metal without buying some. but i reused my seat post tube a wala.

431576_443833748996584_456005658_n.jpg

please forgive the ugly welds, im somewhat of a noob at welding and the stick was too much so i switched to flux core.

308896_443834325663193_1458805828_n.jpg

154229_443833738996585_555396783_n.jpg

Latest posts

Back