@@ The K-4 @@ Update Thursday 1/5

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
38   0   1
A new build inspired by the golden age of streamlined train engines of the 30's. Plans are to integrate a Hot Rod theme into this build as well.

The patent that inspired the build theme and the initial mock up with frame repairs done. THe fork is a 50's Evans Action springer.

PS. I do not know why every picture that is not perfectly square gets automatically edited to fit, so go to my photobucket if you want to see the full view.

loewy_k4_patent_10.jpg

K4Mock1.jpg

K4Mock2.jpg

K4Mock3.jpg

K4Mock4.jpg

K4Mock5.jpg

Re: @@ The K-4 @@

Is it gonna get some sheet metal work Joe? A tank perhaps?

This looks cool! :D That's a nice frame, the curved seat tube is awesome :mrgreen:

Did you braze that yourself? I had a repair done to an Elgin frame on top of the BB just like that.

Cool bike Joe.

Now let's play a game of "What can we spot in the backround of Joe's Pictures". I see a row of truss rod forks. You hoarder!!! :lol:

I see in the 2nd pic by the rear wheel on the floor looks like a vac, it's round an chrome, that will prob be the tank to look like the front part of the train. what else can ya all see. nice bike Joe. start buildin will ya so we can see.

Outlaw 8)

Love that frame :!: Long and low.Looks great with those forks and makes it look even longer.Nice rear wheel.I'll be keeping an eye on this build 8) 8)

You're killin me! Are you really gonna cut up that train?

Someone had to say it.

Re: @@ The K-4 @@ Update 12/10

Had to change out the wheels - major disappointment as they were 24" with Thick Bricks but just too wide for the Evans Fork. I slapped on a triple step for now to get an idea of fender placement. Not sure about these fenders yet as I already have a bike with these Shelby fenders on it. i am trying to mount a set of Hawthorne Fender Skirts, but I can't get them to fit without cutting them and i don't want to do that. Got the brass ground down with a Dremel and then sanded out. I gotta figure out skip tooth or standard chain to determine the driveline parts.

Mock21.jpg

Mock22.jpg

Mock23.jpg

Mock24.jpg

Mock25.jpg

Lookin' good 8) What about a Quick Brick up front?Aren't they more narrow,but still wide?Those wheels are just too nice to give up on.Might make the Thick Brick look bigger,also.Just a thought.Nice bunch of parts to choose from :!:

Well quick bricks are 26" and they would fit fine, but I do not have a matching Creme with black pinstripe front wheel to put on the front. The rear Thick brick will fit but it is so close that I believe that after a mile or so of riding things would loosen up with the drivetrain and it would rub somewhere. Not something I want to deal with on the build as I like to ride them! I did not win the train and that is OK because it gave me an idea about a better looking tank that I can itey to make from scratch. I will have to invest a little coin in a couple of tools but if it works I would be happy with the result and have the tools for future projects. trying to locate a set of Sun Doublewide wheels or a set of 26" Felt wheels.

Joe

Yeah,those fat tires are really close on old frames.And ridability is important.I ride what I build also.Sorry you didn't win the train,but at least you have a good excuse to buy more tools :D Good luck finding the wheels you want.Keep up the great work :!: I can't wait to see how it turns out :!:

I like your ideas, looks like you are off to a good start. The seat was neat....somehow it fit the theme like the springs looked like pistons.

Re: @@ The K-4 @@ Update Monday 12/12

OK so I waivered about the fenders and then I had a vision. Why not use two pair of fenders! 2 rears and 2 fronts one on top of the other. I was thinking about the tank construction - specifically functional louvers and the fact that two fenders with duck tails split apart might look cool. i realize the top pair has about 4 coats of paint on it so it becomes difficult to see them with the busy background - its all I got!@ I will work on sanding them so you can get the full effect. i have not seen this done before so leave me your thoughts - good or bad or any suggestions.

Thanks, joe

k43a.jpg

k43b.jpg

k43c.jpg

k43d.jpg

k43e.jpg

Back