The Kool Kanari

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Pictures-1.jpg

I know its a dream bike but it would be cool to make it a reality. It already looks exspensive and i kinda wish I really knew how much it would be to build such a monster. Pm me if there is a master out there who could kill this easily. Anyway, just for fun can you guys throw a guess in? My guess is $4000.00.

If you build from all new parts-it would make for a hefty price...

but i see a schwinn frame, tank. Springer fork, and someone made a fender out of a harley fender, similar to that one on this. I think Jon? His build off bike from a few years ago

Dan Jose,
Pardon my design rambling, I just love to daydream these things. but I think this could be done fairly 'cheap' for a one-off custom.
I'm not sure where your 'vision' is, size-wise with this bike, but perhaps consider this:

Your sketch shows rather short seat stays and chain stays, these could be borrowed directly from a Schwinn OCC chopper or even a Jesse James bike. They can be really cheaply on Craigslist/eBay. This is the platform Kenny Prather uses on his bikes and they are WAY cool!

For the front frame section, I'm seeing either a 'Dyno' style frame or even an Electra Flying Sue/Punk. All you need is a set of truss rods (I don't see a springer in your drawing like Dingo does :roll: :wink: )
The curvy down tube would have to be custom fabricated (you could move the BB forward just enough to use a chainguard from a 26" bike and to look like you stretched it out a little). The handlebars may be custom too, unless you can find a set of 'longhorns'.

You could end up running a FAT 20 x 4.25 in the rear and a 24 x 3 or even a FATTER 24 x 4.25 (both tires are available at ChoppersUS) combo. For that fat a front tire, you could always widen a Schwinn-type springer with some spacers and longer bolts to keep the 'vintage cruiser motorcycle' look I see with this design.

The seat is nothing unusual.

For fenders, consider a set of fiberglass units from these guys:
http://stores.ebay.com/WICKED-CARTS
Being fiberglass, they could be widened fairly easily to accomodate those FAT tires.

Headlight could be made from a mid-50's VW front fender mounted turn signal w/a clear lens. The tail light also from a mid-50's
VW beetle unit (can you tell I'm a V-dub nut too?). Pick up a Hot VW magazine there's tons of re-pop vendors for them.
The rear rack may be a challenge, what about two halves from a women's tank resting on top of the rear fender? Space them apart and add some sheet metal to the 'front', 'bottom' and 'rear' and it would form a 'bucket' to haul stuff in. (a hinged lid would be cool too) some small diameter steel rod could be bent to create the rails and possibly function as a 'handle' if you added a top.

Add a full cover chainguard (saw a pic of a cool one on an excercise bike today), some Torrington pedals and you'd be pretty close to your sketch.
Again, just 'brainstorm' designing here. :mrgreen:

Cheers!
Dr. T

Dr. T, I'm drooling! I think I wanna build this after your description of possibilities! On another note, I've been rackin' my brain trying to figure out that exact headlight set up on a front fender and it never occurred to me that a V-Dub beetle would have it. That's brilliant!
Cheers,
Joey

Wish i had the time and money for this bike right now but I've got sooo many side projects. The insights given about this bike is really cool, and if anyone can figure to build it go ahead! It would be cool to see someone else build it.

Back