The Lizard of Oz - New pic

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been pretty quiet after the RRBBO, working on my house and 58 Zephyr, but when one of the chain stores had some beach cruisers on special for $78 a month ago, I picked up a couple for projects. These bikes are branded as Repco, an old Australian bike company which is now owned by Pacific, so I'm guessing they are the same as the Huffy or similar chain store bikes you guys get in the States. I've been on holidays for two weeks, so decided to work on one of them (the other will be staying in the box for next years RRBBO). I've been gathering parts for this build, so it all went together pretty quick.....was only really a paint job and reassembly.

The paint is a rattle can Ford color with a couple of coats of clear, 24 x 3 Fatti-O on the rear, Brooks B17, and a set of the triple tree forks that BikeWorld USA sell. The rims (both SunRims double walled) were old stock that had been hanging in my LBS for years, and they almost gave them to me they were so cheap. I also fitted 3 piece cranks with a sealed BB. I'll probably fit a different set of cranks later, as these were the only ones I had that would clear the chainstays.

Here's some pics.

Before
DSCF1108.jpg

After
DSCF1213.jpg

DSCF1208.jpg

DSCF1198.jpg

DSCF1199.jpg

Re: New one from Oz

Nice!

Re: The Lizard of Oz

I wasn't 100% happy with the black wheel/whitewall combo, so ordered an all black Fatti-O (6 days from Louisville KY to my doorstep in Oz through Amazon!!), and put a 3g Slicky G on the front until I get another all black tire. Also changed the stem. I like the look of this much better.

DSCF1281.jpg

My 9 year old son and I were out riding yesterday and he said, "Looks green like a lizard, Dad, maybe you should call it The Lizard of Oz". Good idea, boy 8) .

From the pics, it looks like you are dry? Hope the flooding didn't get to yous.
I spent 3 yrs in Townsville, so we have been watching the news from over there.
Best of Luck to ya and nice bike, mate.

Strings_and_steam said:
Nifty colour green, what is it? I like the name as well, very clever :D

...What do you keep in your kickstand? :roll:

The color is Tropicana Green. Some 70's Aussie Fords were painted the color. I drink all types of beverages from the "kickstand"...... I made it at Technical College when I was a second year apprentice. It was flat sheet rolled and TIG welded. I also have another that I made in my third year block at college.....looks more like a proper tankard.

Back