** The next build off 2024 **

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What is the wire frame mounted to the front? Some sort of springer?
Truss rods. Usually seen on antique forks, they support, add strength to the old parts.
pxl_20230629_210535025_a254915b05cbd66214e0f3efa6ca9f618e52d841.jpg

Became more of a "style" item on later models

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vintage/1276111-truss-rod-forks.html

Truss rods. Usually seen on antique forks, they support, add strength to the old parts.
View attachment 270092

Thats a great link to great information. Thanks. I didn't know the history, as I am a bit new to the study, science, and art of old bikes. I always worked on my bikes in the 70s and 80s growing up, so I do know my way around the mechanicals... I'm just re-learning now, by rebuilding an old Huffy step-through cruiser. I've got after pics, but ill save those for the build off reveal. Also, I'm still working on it. Not a lot of wild mods, but some tasteful ones, I think.

Attachments

• 20240402_130825.jpg
    20240402_130825.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
It is still a traditional step through frame. Nothing changed to the frame except BB and seat location. I just figured it was a good idea to include "flippers" here so that people don't try to make wiggle room. Carl is joking, someone else might take it seriously

My first thought when I saw "Step Through BO" was to flip that blue Schwinn step through ATB in my pile, but I reread the rules. Yes, it's stated, but not explicitly. Better to have it settled before it becomes an issue
If you flip it over, I would view that as no longer “traditional”
All final decisions will be done by the staff

Last edited:
After much research, analysis, and varying opinions we have decided to change things up a bit and add a new class to the mix. See how things go and also keep the content fresh

With much excitement we would like to unveil that for the final build off of 2024 we will be rolling out the STBO (step thru build off) for all you drop tube fans! As long as it is a traditional step thru or ladies bike. Factory built or from scratch. On road, off road, whatever. No restrictions other than the frame design having that traditional dropped tube to clear your ladies dress or vicker robe :21:

***** These rules are a work in progress and not official (6/17/24)
***** We reserve the right to amend them prior to competition and posting them in their final form

STBO - STEP THRU BUILD OFF
  • Frame must be a "traditional" step thru (commonly referred to as a ladies frame) in the end configuration (no gender benders to high bar/male)
    • Final say in eligibility will be handled by staff
  • Anything else goes
    • From the factory or scratch built

MBBO - MUSCLE BIKE BUILD OFF
  • Must meet at least 2 of the following 3 criteria to be considered a Muscle Bike

• Rear tire larger than the front. (Wider or taller or both)
  • Banana /Polo seat
  • Muscle bike appropriate bars.(Apehangers, Butterfly, Rams Horns, steering wheels, or any other weird variants, etc)
***** Other standard rules will apply

Jan-Mar : build-off - ORBO & SWBO

Apr : off

May-July : annual RRBBO - class 1/class 2

Aug : off

Sept-Nov : build-off - MBBO & STBO

Dec : off
I'm new, and would like to enter this. The deadline for completion is November? Do I need to officially submit my name to enter now? Thanks. Do I have to wait until Sept to begin the project?

Maybe pull out this krike hand built in Ottawa by a guy named kiwi Mike it was designed extremely well for what it was intended for had mavic rims,nexus 7 speed hub, STX headset, roller break with dynamo whole bunch of other extras. As you see it's just a frame I pillaged it for parts.
IMG_20240619_101707394.jpg
IMG_20240619_101718429.jpg
IMG_20240619_101728616.jpg
IMG_20240619_101724142.jpg

I'm new, and would like to enter this. The deadline for completion is November? Do I need to officially submit my name to enter now? Thanks. Do I have to wait until Sept to begin the project?

Sept 1 make a thread in the correct thread and build away

Correct. This is the next build off after the one that is currently running. We will have August off/down, and then this next one (muscle bikes and step thru) will begin on September 1. All work done before that does not count.

View attachment 270092

Yes, older Schwinn Ashtabula fork bikes had the truss rods. Then Schwinn stopped adding them. As a result more steer tubes were getting bent. 1965 the steer tubes on the Schwinn's were made thicker. This also effected stems. Older stems will not fit in newer forks.

Note on 1965, I don't know if 1965 was the last year of thin steer tubes or first year of the thicker tube.

Phew! I think this one qualifies by about 1/4”.
View attachment 270138
J/K, I have better project fodder. :grin:
Looks like it's been taken off a few ramps. It may still be useable. To straighten the seat tube I would use a car jack and push the tube outward, then slide a piece of pipe or something down in the seat tube to strengthen it.
IMG_1213.jpeg

Looks like it's been taken off a few ramps. It may still be useable. To straighten the seat tube I would use a car jack and push the tube outward, then slide a piece of pipe or something down in the seat tube to strengthen it.
View attachment 270150
Thanks Wildcat. Yeah, this thing is pretty beat up. It will end up being used in a class 2 build someday I think. I like the lugs but it's a Free Spirit so not too high quality, and it is bent! For the ST build frame I think I'm going back to the '50s.

There was a few builds here from a member in Europe that I can't find now, but had some great step thru bikes.

Here's one I did find:

View attachment 270152

That is a Ruff Tango Ladies frame. To me it's one of the cooler ladies stretch frames ever.

1718920313361.png

I think all that I have left of this is frame and fork.

1718920596447.png

Back