The "other" bike... in the sun

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
I thought I had put this one out here, but it appears not.

This is a '52 Straightbar DX.. probably a Hornet originally. I have been working on it for over a year, the painter was not in a rush on the parts other than the frame, and I found out yesterday the "NOS" rack I bought for it isn't. And on top of that, it is bent.. er, was bent. I spent yesterday afternoon straightening two racks and three chainguards.

This one has most of the parts necessary to complete it on hand, I just can't seem to get anything accomplished... Too much other stuff goin' on, and then there are the other bikes that came along while this one has been slowly moving ahead.

Rat Royale
REC Elsewhere

Anyway... here's a before, and a presently (taken 8/07) photo:

Re: The "other" bike...

Some further progression has been made today. I am still missing some parts (they're here, I just don't know where..) and have finally gotten into the finishing of this one. It started out as a Lee.... Ug Lee. It's starting to take on its' new life and appearance, and I'm likin' it.
Rat Royale
REC Elsewhere
From the day..

Dude!!!!!! The paint job rocks!!!!!!!
Beautiful Bike!!!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Thank you for the compliments, but I will not take credit for someone else's work. A guy who used to work for me in a body shop painted it. He is known as "Tom Terrific", and his son, known as Mike "The Kid" did the striping. Tom had the fenders, guard and tank for close to a year, and I had told him "no rush" going in, so it was not a problem. He does beautiful work, and I knew it would come out great. The frame was powdercoated in Boca Rotten (Raton for those of you who don't live here) at Flo-Coat, by another bike minded guy. So in reality - my color choices, my ideas, workmanship is by trusted friends and business men. I trade work with Tom and his son and have known Tom since the early eighties, Mike was 8 when I first met him. The powdercoater is an acquaintance through a mutual business friend, and does very nice work.

I know this is do it yourself place, but I don't have the place or the time to do this stuff. The building of the bike, yeah, I can do that at night and on weekends, but no welding, painting type work can be done in the house. My shop is my Florida room... (until I can get a good sized shed!)
I have done this work in the past, and still carry the knowledge and ability, but have a different occupation now that limits my time terribly.
As for the bike, (and others I have built) the ideas are pirated from others, some are my own, and some come with trial and error from what looked like it might work.

Again, thanks for the compliments. Further note, I think you can click the photos and go to the webshots page where they are all at.

Rat Royale
REC Elsewhere

PS:
Just a thought.. The only part of this bike left from the before shot is the frame itself. I have most of the rest still, but this is more of a "resto-fication" than anything. I wanted the old look and the newer technology.. the 2 speed kickback and the Krate sprocket..)

Well, it's all together, and I'd say 97% done. 97% because I don't ever think I'm finished....

The rack is on, the bars and seat, etc.. I am VERY happy with the way it came out, but the weather here is keeping me (and it) indoors, so photos will be taken when the weather breaks for a while.

Keep watching...

Rat Royale
REC Elsewhere

Man that is turning out fantastic. I think ill throw mine away. The bad part with the quality of work your doing I can tell that your spending big bucks on it,even if you have connections it aint cheap. Wont be one you run on c/l for $200 next week ..Looks really good. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

As said , that paint rocks. Midnight paint scheme. What is the front hub.....a forebrake?

Re: The "other" bike... Completed!

I was able to get out and shoot some photos of this today, but the sun was NOT cooperative... Hence the "Black Effect."
I'll try again later in the week.
Rat Royale
REC Elsewhere

Looks great!...........Just another bike I'm jealous about. :roll:

KOTA said:
Looks great!...........Just another bike I'm jealous about. :roll:

I am honored... thank you. You've also built some stuff that makes you stand back and go...hmmmmmmm?!?!?!

Thank you!

Gold Street Customs said:
One of those bikes that stands out very nice.
Thanks for the comments!

What really gets me, is (and maybe I'm the only one that thinks this way.. I don't know) when you get an idea in your head, and then start out to complete it, it always seems like it just never quite comes out as you planned... something here, a little detail there, etc....

This one appeared to be headed in that direction, but in the end - to me anyway - it actually came out WAY better than what I thought it would look like. The colors worked as I had planned, but the overall effect and appearance still makes me stand back and just admire the looks. However... and before anything else... I didn't design the bike, I only redid it with TLC. I think the "Schwinn-gineers" did a GREAT job back in the design room on these bikes! I think I didn't realize at the initiation of this project, how much I liked the design, and as I went through the work, kind of fell further into it. The lines of these really do it for me.

I have several other styles of frames, the DX, a B-6, as well as middle and lightweights and even a couple of late model chopper style bikes, but this one seems to make me smile more while riding than the others.

I am humbled by the comments that I've gotten on this, and would like to say thank you to everyone who has replied with comments. It makes me feel good that this has drawn the attention it has. 8)
Rat Royale
REC Elsewhere

What really gets me, is (and maybe I'm the only one that thinks this way.. I don't know) when you get an idea in your head, and then start out to complete it, it always seems like it just never quite comes out as you planned... something here, a little detail there, etc....

That's half the fun. 9 times out of 10 it ends up for the better.

I'd just like to throw my compliment into the hat, that bike is a real dream machine. It's an amazing new take on an old classic. Great job!

A couple of shots taken while the sun was out... (shortlived!) Shows a little bit of the contrast between the colors and striping.
Rat Royale
Chainguard contrast:

Tank:

Ons side

Back