the perfect bike for those in snow areas!!!!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lol, that reminds me of a cool book called "The Fantastic Bicycles Book" by Steven Lindblom (if I remember right). It came out in 1980, and was directed towards kids building their own kool bikes, one project was a ski bike! They also proposed an ice cycle, much like the turn of the century original. It had a bolt-studded tire (or rim maybe), one cleated pedal on the sprocket side to drive with, and no crank on the other side. You'd put a skate on that foot! I don't think they actually built it at the time, was more of a what if. Still have that book somewhere! :mrgreen: ~Adam

Scary "bikes" :shock: I'ld rather have one of these:

surly-pugsley1.jpg

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/surl ... index.html

Not that we have much snow over here, but there's always the beach 8)

actually if you want the perfect extreme bike for snow, sand or wherever get a Hannebrink extreme bike, one on ebay now for sale but beware they are expensive.

I might try out some of my bikes in the snow tomorrow. It started snowing hard here about 2 this afternoon. We now have about 4 inches and the forcast is for snow thru tonight and into tomorrow. We may get as much as 12-15 inches total.I have not ridden a bike in the snow in 40+ years. I remember how clean the tires always got when you ride in fresh clean snow and avoid mud and the squeak of tires in soft snow. :D

Working on a snow bike today. Looks like we've got 8" here! :shock: I've done this every other year or so for a while now, so I think we're up to "The Snow Cat: Mk IV" The first was a Ross ten speed frame with 26" cruiser wheels and knobbies, that was ridden in a blizzard a couple miles. It was awful. The second was a Raleigh mountain bike that wasn't much better. I forget the third.. Maybe this one's "Mk III"?

Oh right, Olli's tank bike (and a lack of snow) shut me down for a year! :roll: Dunno if Snow Cat Mk IIIorIV is interesting enough for a build thread though.

nice! love that bike, ill have to build me one of those!

Wow that's funny that I read this thread as I am visiting Colorado at the moment and MAN have I seen some odd rides on the slopes here :lol: I was just in an antique store yesterday and this guy had a snow bike from the forties (he said :roll: ) and he wanted $650 for it :!: 10 pounds of rust and all. Another guy had something almost identical but for $20...go figure.

Growing up in New Hampshire I used to run skinny tires in snow up to a foot deep to cut through to the bottom. anything deeper I would run a cruiser type (knobbies would dig in, cruisers would float) 26x2.125 at low pressure (about 15psi).
I would have liked a set of the Surely tires. :)

I used the Pug's bike for a little R&R last winter, he won't ride in the basket in the winter.

HH-SnowJob02.jpg

HH-SnowJob08.jpg

Not good on the shifting come springtime. I think I would rather build another with a coaster than to use this bike again in the snow. Does great power slides :wink:

Evidence.jpg

GL

i have plans on making a bike close to that design for my winter commuting to work ....

Back