The Pickwick Flyer

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I promised to build a bike for my little brother as he didnt know how to ride bikes (he's 14) and I like building them, (duh :lol: ) so anyway, I got an old 90's mountain bike from my wifes bro that he had abandoned 15 years ago to use as a base. I am more or less happy with the results. Unfortunately I dont have pics from when the bike had the bars flipped and wrapped with natural colored cork tape, but I promised it looked much more like the concept picture; the bars were too low for him however. Either way, it turned out good, and he's happy and has since learned to ride quite well to date.

Concept pic:

thePickwickFlyer.jpg

What I began with:

disassembly1.jpg

What it is currently:

finished3.jpg

finished4.jpg

Very nice!

Paint came out nice..I am shur that your Bro will love it..If not... you can send it to me..LOL.. :lol:

Thanks everyone for the compliments! :D

Walker said:
That looks really sharp. I like the color combo, what did you use for paint, enamel?

I kinda didnt do the paint right. I had the frame powder coated the blue and had a friend paint the accents. The cream is spray paint, and the stripes are airbrushed model car "turn signal" color. I kinda rushed him as he wanted to clear the whole thing and didnt get to, it would have turned out much better.

herr_rudolf said:
That's nice! Didn't you like the flipped bars? I would love to see this one with a skinny roadtire only upfront...

I actually liked the flipped bars and saddler much higher than pictured, but my 15 year old brother found it difficult to ride since he is just learning to.

In all I have less than $200 in this bike and am happy with it. Not much unlike the members who don't get the good cruiser bikes over seas, the real cruisers here are priced at such a premium that it seems almost a shame to not use under appreciated bikes like this one here.

oops... Should've read your post a bit better :-S
What a cool thing to do, building a bike for your brother. Two weeks ago I almost did the same for my kid brother (he's 31 you know...) But just in time I realized he wasn't such a nice brother to me the last couple of weeks ;-) But if I did, it would've looked almost just like yours! Albeit with flipped bars, higher seat, and a skinnier roadtire upfront... I like the frame. Such small ones are not easy to find here (over seas ;-) for a reasonable price. All in all I don't wan't to spend more than $100 on a bike to put together (including bike purchase.) Come to think of it all of my builds have been less then $50...

Can't say enough that I love the look of your (brother's) bike. The colorchoice is outstanding and painting the sprocket is something I'll certainly remember...

Funny to read that your brother's just learning to ride. Over here in Holland/Europe EVERYBODY learns to ride a bike at the age around 4/5. But Holland is a bike orientated country...

Well done! Both of you. ;-)

Back