The problem with being an old bike mechanic

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
63   0   0
...is that it's very hard not to have a whole shop full of tools.

I'm starting to work on bikes more. Very soon I have to start building my son's bike for Christmas when I get it back from paint. And as I'm working trying to figure out stuff who to accomplish a task without the proper tool, I just think about all the tools I used to have at my disposal! I am going to lace up his new wheels, but I'll have to take them to a bike shop and beg to only change me $10 a wheel for dishing them and finishing up the true. I don't have a headset press or bottom bracket press, so I'll have to smack them in with wood. I don't have a bike stand, so I'll have to build some weird thing out of wood that won't work well.

It's just frustrating because I used to have so much so many years ago. I'm sure many of you feel my pain.

hey man i use 2 square peices of steel and a threaded rod with 2 bolts 2 push in my cups ...works great !!!!
i picked up a cheap park bike stand on ebay...107 bucks shipped if i remember rite !!!! i dont have really any special tools to speak of ...i did get a skinny pedal wrench ...use what ya got i guess !!!! LOL :D

ooooo I like that Peat!! I think I'm going to get that set up!

I just jumped on an old truing stand in the For Sale section. I'll just need a dishing tool, and I may be able to redneck something for that if I can't find a cheap one.

CRASH said:
...is that it's very hard not to have a whole shop full of tools.... I don't have a headset press or bottom bracket press, so I'll have to smack them in with wood....

Here I thought smacking them with wood WAS state of the art! :shock: :lol:

Use an old frame and make a truing stand. I never was able to true up a wheel until I got some practice.

2rym6bs.jpg

Peatbog said:
mikesbikes36 said:
hey man i use 2 square peices of steel and a threaded rod with 2 bolts 2 push in my cups ...works great !!!!

That is what works for me:

6.jpg

3/4" threaded rod, 3/4" hex nuts, big 3/4" USS washers, two hillbilly socket sets

Hmmm, your socket sets look like my adjustable hammers...

Peatbog said:
mikesbikes36 said:

That is what works for me:

6.jpg

3/4" threaded rod, 3/4" hex nuts, big 3/4" USS washers, two hillbilly socket sets

+1,000 this is my BB and HS press system to and for like $7 it works great.

Wildcat said:
Use an old frame and make a truing stand. I never was able to true up a wheel until I got some practice.

2rym6bs.jpg
I use something about like that, mines a rear off a full suspension bike I stripped then I just use 2 zip strips as my gauge. It isnt the greatest but it will do till I can afford the real thing

Over the years I have learned to use the right tool for the job the hard way. Hence I now own a decent amount of Park Tools don't like damaging stuff due to not having the right tool.

Back