the pterodactyl

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_0508-1.jpg

Hello all.
This is my first build and first post.
So here's the info.
I was walking home after dropping off my bike at a local shop for cable work. the previous week i bought some ape hangers, replaced them, and knew i was hooked on modifying bikes. The frame was purchased at a yard sale for 5 bucks. it's a schwinn.
while sanding the frame down i ran across a serial number on the bottom of the crank. sn# EQ800488. the name plate on the front of the stem shaft reads 8060 or 6060, the first digit is worn out.
i looked up the SN# on the schwinn SN# site, and couldn't find any thing with in range. there was no info of SN's starting in 'EQ'.
Is it a pre-48?
the monarch springers were bought, after much debate as to quality, from Chain Gang Lowrider. From what i've read about CGL, i feel comfortable that they won't fail. it's not crossbow so...
i'd like to keep the chrome to a minimum. main colors being candy apple red and black. i've been having trouble finding black handlebars with slight rise, which will keep the bike riding in an upright position; possibly with a banana seat. no ape hangers. i want to keep it classic, and blend in some modern.
originally i was going to do triple tree chopper forks, but i'm glad i didn't.
any feedback/advice is appreciated and i look foward to sharing this project with you all.
i like the sound of 'Pterodactyl' and it's original
DirtMerchant

so i've tried multiple times to get the full photo in there. i need help. i've never photobucketed before.

thx dirtmerch

Very cool start! I love the look of the monark repops, even though I had a bunch of trouble with mine... Best of luck with yours! According to what I found, your bike is a little newer than you thought, most likely a 1990. The head badge numbering system didn't start until the mid 70s, and is decoded like this: 1st 3 digits are the day of the year, the 4th digit is the last number of the year of manufacture. The bottom bracket serial indicates a newer model as well. Here's where I got my info: http://www.re-cycle.com/History/Schwinn/SwnB_Serial.aspx

this is how far the pterodactyl has come along. the crank and sprocket were ordered this morning from chaingang lowrider (pretty much everything for my ride is coming from our friends up north).
i'm keeping the main colors red and black with minimum chrome. the crank will be black and i'm getting cgl's roulette sprocket.
i decided to go with 26 x 1 3/8 wheels after trying the rims from the bike i found in the parking lot out on the ptero.(i post a pic of that frame a well)
i messed up the rear brake on my main bike, so i am bikeless until the ptero is ready.
ok enough talk.

IMG_0550.jpg

IMG_0551.jpg

WE HAVE A 1022 IN PROGRESS-POSTING WITHOUT AN INTRO! SUSPECT SHOULD PROCEED TO POST AN INTRO IMEDIATELY!-OVER.... :wink:

(This ride needs BALLOON tires! That size tire looks kinda wimpy on that frame!)
L8 EM

TheDuke said:
WE HAVE A 1022 IN PROGRESS-POSTING WITHOUT AN INTRO! SUSPECT SHOULD PROCEED TO POST AN INTRO IMEDIATELY!-OVER.... :wink:

(This ride needs BALLOON tires! That size tire looks kinda wimpy on that frame!)
L8 EM

You have posted 911 times.You deserve a cookie. :p

Smellslike1974 said:
TheDuke said:

L8 EM

You have posted 911 times.You deserve a cookie. :p
Do'nt you remember-911's a Joke,So get up,a get get get down!-Mr. Flav :lol:
L8 EM

Back