The Rat Phantom '59- Finished!!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I got this 1959 Schwinn Red Phantom back in January. It has a really nice patina that i wanted to protect. Not all the parts were original but i wanted to use the parts that came with it when i bought it. The chrome needed to be cleaned up and the tires needed to be replaced and the chainguard needs to be repainted. I still plan on laying the seat back and doing something different with the handlebars.

This is what i started with:
IMG_0324-1.jpg

IMG_0332-1-1.jpg

These are the fenders that came with the bike:
IMG_0326-1.jpg

The chrome needed a little cleaning:
IMG_0339-1.jpg

IMG_0342-1.jpg

The seat leather is in really good shape but the pan was a little rusted:
IMG_0367-1.jpg

After a few weeks of working on it i've been making good progress this where i'm at.

I taped off the leather on the seat and cold galvanized the pan:
IMG_0370-1.jpg

I got the chrome cleaned up and polished:
IMG_0363-1.jpg

I cleaned the dirt off the frame and clear coated it to protect the original paint/patina. I also clear coated the rear fender to keep its patina. Then i threw some whitewalls on to give it that rat look:
IMG_0458-1.jpg

IMG_0459-1.jpg

With the front fender i wanted to add a personal touch, and since my other interrest is growing an epic handlebar moustache i decided my bike needed one as well:
IMG_0451-1.jpg

I did the maroon and gold to match with the colors already on the bike and then cleared it as well:
IMG_0513-1.jpg

Now i have the fenders on, i need to find a handlebar stem for it, a headlight,and finish the chainguard. But overall it is really coming together:
IMG_0511-1-1.jpg

Thanks for checking it out and let me know what you think.

First off a pic of my fender inspiration--the stache.
IMG_0231.jpg

Now back to the bike, i painted my chainguard to better match the existing paint on the bike and ordered all the parts i needed to finish. I decided to flip the original handlebars i had and go for a boardtrack look:

IMG_0543-2.jpg

I won an auction on ebay for an old Oliver tractor headlight with a 5.5" lense. I converted it over to LED by stripping down a flashlight i had gotten at some trade show and putting a toggle switch where the existing wires had come thru the housing. I clear coated the light to match the patina already on the fenders:

IMG_0546-1-1.jpg

The headlight came with a mounting bracket and since i have a spot for a headlight on my front fender, i got a flat elevator bolt mounted the bracket cut off the access threads and put my tractor light there:

IMG_0551-1.jpg

IMG_0556-1.jpg

I had some leather handlebar tape from another bike that i decided to put on the handlebars just to add a little something:
IMG_0558.jpg

I ordered a laid back seat post from a builder named Kip who can reached at [email protected] and it turned out amazing i shot a little grey on it and got it and my seat on the bike:
IMG_0560-2.jpg

Of course i got it done when we are having crappy weather so an extended ride will have to wait but i did take it for a cruise around the shop and it's awesome. Once again thanks for checking it out and let me know what you think.

Hi,Brodie
Thank's for the shout out! I'm glad your happy. Very nice bike.Nice stach also!
Kip.

Really nice from concept thru build; bet you get lots of compliments when you ride it!
BTW, just to follow your theme, if you ever get a deal on some 'real' mustache bars, think about putting them on?

Latest posts

Back