The Rocket

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this is my first bike project. It's been more than a month now and I'm about ready to ride. I finally got the chain on today (after my LBS gave me a old short chain by accident) and took it on the road. I took the bike apart, stripped off all the paint and got to work. After I spent countless hours jogging through "how to spraypaint a bike" forums, I tried my hand at it. I soon realized, like most things, that you can only read so much and you just have to do it to really learn. I think it came out pretty well and I'm happy with the results. Sorry for the crappy pics, still figuring this photobucket thing out.

Before:
ogrockit.jpg

DSCF1045.jpg

After stripping, painting and a pack of steel wool:
rocketrockit.jpg

rockitwheel.jpg

DSCF1067.jpg

The finished product:
DSCF1088.jpg

DSCF1087.jpg

DSCF1086.jpg

DSCF1083.jpg

Man, that's a nice bike. Ummm,....one thing the how to spray paint your bike should have included was not spray painting it less than a foot away from a gas water heater. And that plastic plumbing pipe vent pipe isn't code either if it's gas and not electric. Hate to see all that hard work go up in smoke so to speak!

I am going to try and not be offended that you guys think I would spraypaint a bike in a basement near a hot water heater without proper ventilation. I know I am new here and you guys don't know much about me yet, but come on! :D I just hung the frame, etc. in the basement to dry. I built myself a cool little outdoor rig where I hung my frame from a coathanger attached to a standing bird feeder. Of course I took the birdfeeder off the metal stand so I wouldn't get any visitors and bird "leavings" mixed in with my new paint job. Thanks for the comments, and I'm on to my next project.

Didn't mean to insult you about the water heater but you never know.... I think bird feeders and clothes lines are in fact the official bike hangers for painting rat rod bikes.

You might ask the landlord about that vent pipe. If it's a gas water heater it should be stove pipe. Those gas fumes are hot an pvc won't do the job at all.

The bike looks slick as all git out too!

Latest posts

Back