The Rustman - NEW photos!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: The Rustman

Doormandean said:
Wow, I can't believe people have to work to get stuff rusty, over here in the UK, if I leave metal in my garage overnight it starts going rusty! :shock:

Yes i had to help. Otherwise it would have taken months. I know of guy who had his basman as a daily rider and it took him more than 8 months to get the frame rusted.

Re: The Rustman - quick mock-up

The wheelset is finished so I did a quick mock-up today... this bike is gonna look so cool... :mrgreen:

Unfortunately I can't start painting as the rust doesn't hold on some areas so I had to put it back on the balcony to get some more rust.

IMG_0693_zps2ffe0fa2.jpg

IMG_0694_zpsd6eab8a4.jpg

IMG_0695_zps3c0be519.jpg

I have been wondering what those Holy Roller tires would look like on some wide rims. What is the width of rim you are using?

I dig the rust. I thought about doing that before but I got too skeered to pull the trigger on it.

Regards,

man this thing looks like it's gonna be sweet!
that rusted up beautifully there, i took me about three weeks to get a set of forks to do that on the seafront!

Sweet looking wheels.. Where did you get the wheel setup from.? Looking into building something with the same setup after seeing your project now..

Re: The Rustman - now with flakes

I know it will turn out nice. Its hard to mess up a Basman. I thought the way you had
it before was outstanding. Guess you get tired of the same old look.

Sweet bike. I'm liking the flake over the rust look. What process did you take to throw clear over the rust? Do you just brush off the rusty "powder" and spray away or do you have to somehow nuteralize the rust layer before laying down clear?

It is easier than you think. The rust is real rust and the clear coat is Hammerite anti rust clear coat where I mixed in the flakes.

Not usually a Bassman fan...but this thing...this thing I'm loving...

Back