The Rusty Renegade- full patina build! Its a rider!!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
In Arkansas bombing the trails on a Dayton.
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Got this from my friend shaun who just happened to have it in his barn. Last place i thought id find a bike ive been looking for for a while :lol:

It is a Western Flyer-badged AMF, same as the Renegade in which i favor. (Also an awesome song by Styx!)

Suprisingly its not rusted together, even with the fact it is covered in rust. :roll:
ren2_zpsaef1822e.jpg

ren1_zpsbadc7021.jpg

My Plans:
1. Add rear white wall drag slick
2. Clean and re-grease the awesome german Komet Comet Super coaster hub (my favorite hub)
3. add front WW tire and grease the bearings
4. straighten or find another AMF sprocket
5. find new banana seat
6. find a patina'd AMF Renegade chaingaurd
7. wash all dirt off
8. Ride

Re: The Rusty Renegade- first full patina build!

Nice score!
I really like that you left out steps 9 and up,

9: Sand down to bare metal.
10: Prime and paint.
11: Wet sand to a mirror finish.
12: Replace all rusted parts with brand new chrome.
13: Hang it on a wall because you are too afraid to ride it.
14: Realise you liked it more before...

With the way it looks now, it would be almost criminal to that to it, well done in deciding not to!

Luke.

LukeTheJoker said:
Nice score!
I really like that you left out steps 9 and up,

9: Sand down to bare metal.
10: Prime and paint.
11: Wet sand to a mirror finish.
12: Replace all rusted parts with brand new chrome.
13: Hang it on a wall because you are too afraid to ride it.
14: Realise you liked it more before...

With the way it looks now, it would be almost criminal to that to it, well done in deciding not to!

Luke.

Haha i just did 9 through sorta 13 with that 70 stingray i did for the stingray build off :lol:

All he paid was getting a 1971 Nova into the body shop, I believe I won? :D

hey thats a great bike and i completely agree with leaving the patina. It, to me, tells a story and shows that its earned its strips. I have a banana seat that a lbs was gonna throw away that I simply stripped to the bare pan (plenty of scale rust but super solid) wire brushed and then painted flat black. I think u could do the same with the seat u have or even just wire brush and leave the rusty patina show. Another option would be to cover it with a mexican blanket. A classic rat rod/hot rod cheap trick plus the bright colors of the blanket would make the rust "pop". Also love the ride it step. Ride mine all the time. cheers froggy

I like it. Can't duplicate that kind of patina! I'm just starting a barn find myself, a columbia coyote. Pics soon.

Cool! :D

I don't see pics of you riding it, so it probably didn't happen..... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Back