-The Schwinn Cedar - '41 DX - DONE! - More Pics 8/2

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
What I have here is a early 40's Schwinn DX, '41 I have been told. I am going to be using some old cedar to carve out a tank for the bike, and most likely some blocks for the pedals, and possibly some cedar for the saddle. This will be my first build off and have been looking forward to it for months!

This bike I got in a government liquidation auction along with 2 other bikes ('50 Schwinn, and a '70's industrial bike). Like my '50 Schwinn, this bike had spent most of its life at the Puget Sound Naval Shipyard in Bremerton, WA. The original head badge is long gone and has been replaced with a tack welded on tag P.S.N.S.

Well, here she is.

I have lots of plans for this bike in my head, well will see what winds up happening with it.

Well, i'm heading out to the garage to finish tear down and maybe get some mock up flicks?

Last edited:
Another cool score from PSNS.
Good luck!

So much yellow paint. Have spent almost 5 hours last night and today stripping paint. Pictures to come when all the yellow is finally gone.

I guess they probably got a new coat of paint every couple of years, so I imagine there is quite a bit on there!

Luke.
I'm guessing that there was about four coats of yellow, some black on top, and white and primer under all the yellow. I'm almost done getting the yellow off. After work I will get to it, I hope.

Can't wait to see how the cedar turns out. Had thought about doing a cedar tank and grips on mine but didn't think the tank would go with my theme. I may still get my buddy to turn me some grips to give a little color to the bike.

Can't wait to see how the cedar turns out. Had thought about doing a cedar tank and grips on mine but didn't think the tank would go with my theme. I may still get my buddy to turn me some grips to give a little color to the bike.
Grips would be a good idea....hmmmmmmm

Well I got about 99% of the yellow paint off. There is some original white paint, primer, rust, and bare metal.

Now that the yellow is gone, its time to figure out what to do next. I'm thinking painting it blue, and doing some light sanding to try and create a fake patina. Doubt I will get to much during the week, but this weekend its on!

Haven't been around the forum for a bit, but I did get some things done last weekend and this weekend. I will let the pictures do the talking.

Here it is painted up, and faked patina. This is the rear all mocked up with different tires.

I got the repop fork painted and patinaed, this pic is during the rusting I gave the bike.

A few more shots after I was done rusting it and cleaned it up again.

I got around to the paint removal on the skirts. I love the colors they that were under the cream paint.

Here are some before/during/after shots

Still unsure of what tires/rims to use. The creams I don't think are going to work, so I ordered a pair of white tires, and I'm thinking flat black rims. I will take more pics once I have the new tires and a set of rims painted up.

Enjoy!

Great job on the patina, looks 30years older! Skirt guards are way cool, I could do with a pair for my daughter's USAAF build to keep her dress uniform skirt and forties dresses out of the wheel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looking good, the skirt guards seal the deal.

Latest posts

Back