The Scrapyard Experiment

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am going to create my own experiment involving visits to the scrapyard.

Let me explain...

For several months I have been trying to discover the best days to go to the scrapyard and from my experiences, it's still not conclusive. Personally, I believe there is no routine, but let's test that thought.

Also, I will record the quantity of the different bicycle manufacturers I spot and later put all of that data into a pie chart (I believe Huffy will be the greatest). Still, it will be interesting to see how many of the high quality bikes are scrapped.

Of course this will not be a come and go type deal without cash flowing. I have two healthy 17-year-old eyes (soon to be 18 :lol: ) that will gaze upon anything worth inspecting and perhaps purchasing. This is not a waste of time; I am a senior in high school and have some vigorous classes that require extra homework and studying; I know how to use my time wisely.

This experiment will be documented with photographs and video -- a diary if you will. When it's all said and done, I will post my "documentary" on YouTube for entertainment purposes... What's better than watching awesome stuff being saved from the crusher? :mrgreen: My YouTube account is http://www.youtube.com/ratrodschwinnmesa for those of you who don't know.

As I said before, I plan on going to the metal dump every single day, Monday -- Friday for quite some time. Keep me motivated.

Recent visits to the scrapyard have been highly successful. A week or two ago, my father found a Fuji road bike and today he found a nice Schwinn MTB. Last week I found a nice pink Schwinn MTB and yesterday I shagged a nice British bike with aluminum components (though lacking wheels).

As time goes on, I will post updates in this thread -- what I find and what not. This is going to be very interesting. Enough with the typing and on with the finding! 8)

If you have any ideas or feedback, let me know!

Let the fun begin! :D

EDIT>UPDATE: I have found that taking note of all of the different bicycle brands is too big of a task; I am going to scratch the data part of this experiment and only compile all of my findings in this thread and in a YouTube video (with video, not pictures).

No problem, I wish we had places here to go to. Can you use this project as an extra credit assignment? Your scrapyard is where my 65 Continental came from. Thanks again!

wu49id.jpg

ta649v.jpg

I wounder if you check out trash day in, say the parts of town that have more money versus lower income parts of town if there would be a difference in the quality of scrap bikes you find?

this is interesting. ill keep my eye on this project of yours.
consider yourself lucky, the scrapp yards round here dnt sell any of the metal they buy, or at least i dont know of any.
now how long will this project take? weeks? months? years?? cus i cnt wait to see your finished product, the youtube vid. :D

schwinnmesa said:
For several months I have been trying to discover the best days to go to the scrapyard

The best day for me has been EVERY day......lol. Just depends on when people get a burr in their behind and take it into the yard. Then it can be sold to someone else in as little as 10 seconds. I know I've bought some that way. Weigh it in and weigh it out at the same time. Throw Doug a few bucks and take home a new bike.

Yeah I'm on a first name basis with all the scrap guys....is that bad? :lol:

DonQui said:
now how long will this project take? weeks? months? years??
I'm planning for a good month, maybe longer. We'll see how it goes. :lol:

TheFlyingDingo said:
Send me the MTB's

Dr. Mesa
Hehehe! :wink:

Wildcat said:
No problem, I wish we had places here to go to. Can you use this project as an extra credit assignment? Your scrapyard is where my 65 Continental came from. Thanks again!

wu49id.jpg

ta649v.jpg
You bet! You did a great job on that; I'm glad you gave it a shot at life. 8)

This is what I scored today!!!!! The frame has been molested. Someone's intentions were to build a low-rider or something; the seat stem is kicked back. This imperfection allows me to conform with it; build a Boardtracker!!! :mrgreen: Once the handlebars are upside down, nobody should complain about the bike being so low since that's the way it will be.

dsc00751w.jpg

Also, I found and stashed a nice white Mongoose BMX bike. Maybe I'll shag it on Monday. It's nothing special but I could make a few bucks on it on the CL.

My day was good yesterday too. I got my verbal presentation out of the way and didn't have any tests. Today, my school closed because of the big storm that's coming so that means the tests are pushed back so I have more time to study about the biochemistry of cellular respiration a.k.a. the hardest concept there is to understand. :| *Crosses fingers*

I found a Schwinn exercise bike today. I usually don't care for them, but this one is near-mint!!! It's not like I paid per pound either. :D

Back