the singapore stretch

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: chusan's trike project. "The Singapore Stretch"

haha yeah, the nine year old is already hinting that her bmx needs a little sumthin different...hahahaha

anywez, had a package sitting on my desk when i got into the office....!

thanks once again BOMBSHELTERBIKES! for the stick shift!

now if i only knew where to mount this :shock:

You're very welcome! Glad I could contribute! Nowwwww.......I actually have looked at your bike a bit for the past couple of days, and i think that mounting that shifter on the bottom tube of the main frame, just slightly lower that the cantilever smaller tubes.....maybe just slightly angled/tilted "out" for access......

....might be a not-so-obvious, yet "joe-cool" set-up. 8)

I'm sure you will figure out where....everything else on that bike is exactly right! ENjoy!

:mrgreen:

**WAIT!!!!!! :idea: .... how about on the seat tube???? It is out of the way, yet has a lot of space....... :shock: :?:

That wooden rack made me remember that I can use a wooden pallet as a source of wood for the kid trailer that I want to turn into a cargo trailer.

bombshelterbikes said:
You're very welcome! Glad I could contribute! Nowwwww.......I actually have looked at your bike a bit for the past couple of days, and i think that mounting that shifter on the bottom tube of the main frame, just slightly lower that the cantilever smaller tubes.....maybe just slightly angled/tilted "out" for access......

....might be a not-so-obvious, yet "joe-cool" set-up. 8)

I'm sure you will figure out where....everything else on that bike is exactly right! ENjoy!

:mrgreen:

**WAIT!!!!!! :idea: .... how about on the seat tube???? It is out of the way, yet has a lot of space....... :shock: :?:

hmm tried mocking it up on the bottom tube last night, my arms can't reach it while i'm sitting on the seat! :oops:

seat tube? same difference.... my arms can't reach it at the lowest point of the shifter throw.... sigh...

i guess its gotta be on one of the smaller tubes just below the top tube. i can reach it there but i'd have to fab a spacer? as the clamp on the shifter mounts onto a larger diameter tube....

btw, there's a spring inside a metal tube, do i need to use this? or can i exclude it for the setup? cause i dun think i can find a longer rear cable with the "loop" to attach to the spring.

mastershake916 said:
That wooden rack made me remember that I can use a wooden pallet as a source of wood for the kid trailer that I want to turn into a cargo trailer.

talking about that, its not turning out as i had imagined... can't seem put my finger on it but it's still missing sumthin.. it just dun look right.... hmmm...

.....THEN.....my next suggestion would be to mount that shifter on the top tube, dead center, JUST behing the neck/bars. It will stick up an be a "no apologies", bad-butt, in-your-face vibe......maybe/actually a nice contrast to all the smoothness going on. That tube is an "overload"....you'll have to ask some of the "gear guys" here for advice on losing it........I am most definitely NOT the expert in that field. I think it creates a tension that keeps the gear in synch even if you really crank hard on the pedals in a certain gear.

Have fun!

bombshelterbikes said:
.....THEN.....my next suggestion would be to mount that shifter on the top tube, dead center, JUST behing the neck/bars. It will stick up an be a "no apologies", bad-butt, in-your-face vibe......maybe/actually a nice contrast to all the smoothness going on. That tube is an "overload"....you'll have to ask some of the "gear guys" here for advice on losing it........I am most definitely NOT the expert in that field. I think it creates a tension that keeps the gear in synch even if you really crank hard on the pedals in a certain gear.

Have fun!

cool! thanks for the input!

well, i couldn't fit it onto the top tube too so i went for the next best thing...the middle! :D
location seems to be ok...doesn't get it the way of pedaling but i had to switch the brake lever to the left side of the handlebar as i still wanna be able to e-brake just in case i was switching gears at that time..haha

2600840054_26fe47d4bd.jpg

Nailed it! Looks awesome! So...is it all done? you have to shoot some "ride photos"...bonus points for authentic pics of bystanders reactions as you ride by! :shock: :D 8) :lol: :shock: :mrgreen:

Have no worry about it not being a rat! I have found that around here anything bike is great! like you...I myself am a shiny bike kind of guy too.

this is a great build! :mrgreen: and I love the truck box idea, the blond wood with that bike colour is great!...stay with it. oh and the Fatti-Os.....NICE touch :shock: one of the best tires out there ( a little expensive :roll: ) but nice.

FW

Firewalker said:
Have no worry about it not being a rat! I have found that around here anything bike is great! like you...I myself am a shiny bike kind of guy too.

this is a great build! :mrgreen: and I love the truck box idea, the blond wood with that bike colour is great!...stay with it. oh and the Fatti-Os.....NICE touch :shock: one of the best tires out there ( a little expensive :roll: ) but nice.

FW

thanks FW!
the box is currently off the bike right now until i resolve some issues...

yeah, the fattios were kinda over the top but i figured since i have to ship 3" tires in, i might as well ship the nicest ones i could find, make the expensive shipping more worthwhile... if you know what i mean

finally had some time to work on my trike... bought these two lights from a bike shop near my workplace... these are the real old types, with regular bulbs... no LEDs in there.... i prolly won't change the bulbs out as the cool yellow tint gives it character.... the wirings done, but i'm waiting on some other parts to house the batteries...

2943226904_9e91111859.jpg

Unchained said:
Thats very nice, it looks very clean and definitely one of a kind.

thanks!

yup a little too clean....now i'm kinda regretting getting it painted......i think it would look better in a matt finish. oh well..... perhaps when it starts to rust i'll get it rattle canned!. :wink:

Latest posts

Back