The Spoken build + some others (updated 6/8/09)

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These first pictures are of the build of the bike I recently finished. I call it the Spoken bike. I've been riding it for a couple of weeks and I love it. It's got a sturmey archer 8 speed rear hub that makes it nice on these dirt roads that I have. It also has drum brakes front and back, Brooks seat, Felt 24x3 tires, Brooks leather bar wrap, and Sun double wide rims.
build1.jpg

build2.jpg

build3.jpg

build4.jpg

build5.jpg

build6.jpg

Spoken1.jpg

Spoken2.jpg

Spoken3.jpg

Spoken4.jpg

Spoken5.jpg

Spoken6.jpg

Spoken7.jpg

Spoken8.jpg

I call this one the red bike (creative title right?)
red.jpg

My 52 Hornet 24inch. This was pretty rough when I got it. I made it a Hornet, I don't know what it was before. It didn't have the tank or truss rods and was brush painted orange over the original green.
hornet.jpg

This is a Sears Spyder I restored. It wasn't in too bad of shape, although I did put new rims and handlebars on it.
spyder.jpg

This last one is the first bike I ever really worked on. It's a 26in Schwinn frame, with a 24inch rear and 20inch front tire.
krate.jpg

I am going to try and build a rat rod this summer if I can. I've got a few frames to choose from. An old Coast King cantilever, a lugged Triumph, and maybe even a Swingbike frame that I haven't felt like restoring correctly. Thanks for letting me post on this great site.
Talk to you soon,
Steve

Re: The Spoken build + some others

wow that spoken bike is a masterpiece! as i was scrolling thru the pics i was wondering how sturdy it was then i saw the spokes! very very creative!
the other bikes are great also!

very cool that spoken bike.

you should use the hub in the midle as an attachement point for a suicicde shifter!

Hooch said:
wow that spoken bike is a masterpiece! as i was scrolling thru the pics i was wondering how sturdy it was then i saw the spokes!

Me too......That is very cool. imagine the possiblilties.

WOW TALK ABOUT A TRIP
NICE WORK ON THE FRAME
REALLY NICE! :D

UNREAL! that thing is truley awesome.

hypothetically speaking, how much would you sell that thing for? All Sentimentality aside

Truely a masterpiece. At first thought, I was thinking "Thats a different way to get a little suspension out of a frame" and then the spokes fill in and I am blown away. If it rides half as nice as it looks, then you got a million dollar ride there. There are little columns of smoke across the country from everyones gears turning in their heads, I know mine are. The last time I got this excited about a build was when October built his own stretch frame out of a Huffy. Congrats on a great looking bike.

Lefty

Yeah....I'll be the cliche guy.... :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: !!!! Holy Buh-Jeebus! Way to hit the ground running.....

.....continually amazed here......

GTCOMA said:
UNREAL! that thing is truley awesome.

hypothetically speaking, how much would you sell that thing for? All Sentimentality aside
It's hard to put a price on this one, because of the time invoved. I'm hoping this is just a prototype of things to come. I'm going to ride it hard this summer and make sure it holds up. Then this winter I'm going to try and build a few with some improvements as far as materials and final fit and finish. I hope to have something I would feel comfortable selling by the end of the year. I'll be sure to post pics if this ever happens. Thanks to everyone for the compliments.
JoeyMac said:
that spoke bike is really creative. I have this image in my head of the whole thing spinning on that center axle :)

And Nice Spyder! I have the same one in gold, but it doesn't look as good as yours!
I also have a Spaceliner, but nothing like yours. I've never seen one that nice.

im in amazment, art its art in its finest. when your to old to ride it, it needs to go into the smithsonian!!!or at least a bike museum.the creativity here on this site holds no bounds....

Back