The SSSSSR

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey peoples. this what i've got so far, they're not very good pics because i have no idea how to light them on AutoCAD but this is the general shape anyway. progress will be slow i'm afraid, bit of a funds shortage at the mo. anyway let me know what you think and if anyone has any ideas on what type of handlebars they think would look good, i'm all ears!
Render3.jpg

Render2.jpg

Render1.jpg

Render4.jpg

Stu

Looks like you will have to have really short legs to ride it. Having the BB that close to the seat post will make for a short distance. Good luck.

Uncle stretch, i was a little worried about that and i can extend the seat post, but it's a lot bigger than it looks. From where the seat will be to the bb is 22" and my legs aren't massive.

Galtbacken, i love those old bikes, definitely a future project! might pass on the rubberbands though haha. I was just looking at your "Galtbacken 18" thats some fine workmanship! could definitely use your advice a little further down the road. any thoughts on handlebars? i need them to come back a bit to make up a little distance to make it more comfortable but i can't picture anything that looks good.

Aluminium has been delivered, got some long hours in front of the lathe ahead to make some parts for those forks!

This frame is quiet a bit lower than yours , and if I stuck the BB on the bottom of the seatpost there would only be 20'' . Sometimes you can design things that have a distance problem. A 26'' wheel is only 13 1/2'' inches from the axle to the top of the tire. If you drop down 2 or 3 inches below it ,you will have a hard time making that dimension 22'' unless you stick the top of the seat post way up in the air , and then you loose alot of your cool factor in being able to slam the seat down close to the tire. Just something to think about.
forkchange005.jpg

ok so i based the frame around the tires that i wanted. but not knowing enough about the way tires are measured i've made a fairly large mistake. Thanks Uncle Stretch, i probably would have started fabricating soon if you hadn't pointed this out. i will have to scale the frame down to suit the wheels because it looks crap with smaller wheels, in which case there will be a problem with the distance between the bb and the seat. unless.... what is the largest widest tire available? the best i can come up with is the surly endomorph 29"x3.7" just the tire though, where would i get a rim for something like that?

I'm in no way a frame design expert , and I dont want you to get the idea that I'm trying to be a know it all. I looked at just a wide 26'' rim for a surly and they wanted $139. People have seemed to have the best luck designing frames ,by taking some chalk or something and drawing a full scale model of what you want to build on your garage floor. Lay down a couple tires and draw the rest. It will give you a good idea of the dimensions that you will need and it will help to come up with a bike that you can ride.

Nah mate it's all good. I do appreciate the help. that would have truly sucked if i'd started building it. the frame checks out though i've got a full scale print out and key points match up really well against the bike i have now. i just hope i can get hold of these surly wheels. i wont be changing the frame until i've got the wheels in my hands.

Back