The Sting-Rat

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So-
When I was a kid in Nebraska, about 1986 or so, I had a Schwinn Sting-Ray. Nothing with gears or anything, just a stock red stingray, with a yellow seat. That was my ride. I cut out paper that I drew buttons on and' taped it to the frame and then I could shoot machine guns and lasers at my enemies. Clothes-pins and playing cards were regularly heard. Well, as I mentioned in my intro to the forum, this was my first "custom bike" experience. I took a stock bike and made it my own. My friends all had BMX bikes, but I rocked my Stingray.
Now I'm 36 and I wanted to create an adult size version of my childhood bike. I'm six foot two, so I wanted to go bigger than the original Stingray. I had just finished "Brooksie" and came across an old Western Flyer "Galaxy Flyer" at an antique store. The frame was a similar style to the stingray, so I got it for 50 bucks.

I know that on this forum I like to look at pictures, so I'll stop talking and put up some images... gotta crunch everything through, stay tuned.

ZbikerD said:
Looks like a pretty sweet start for 50$. I'll keep tabs on this build.
8) Yep, me too. Nice deal you got-- I'll have to check out a couple antique shops :idea: :)

very jealous. great find for a killer deal. around here that would have run you $150-200 EASY from a guy on craigslist. I love the big-kid stingray idea and will be watching this

I'm flattered by the interest in this! I thought it was a good deal. Didn't know these were so hard to find! This bike is special to me because it's the first vintage frame that I have re-done/restored/ratted.. In order to get the Stingray feel that I had as a kid, I knew that I needed some big handlebars and a banana seat (or polo seat as Iearned), so I went to my local bike shop. I'm lucky to have a bike shop 10 miles away, and they are a great help to a newbie. I'm the guy that went in with my parts and said, "I need a new one of these... They even counted the links on my chain for me and made it the right size! I should note that since I went for the big fat wheel on the back, I had to move it a bit further back, which meant I had to add extra links to the chain.

I intended to make this picture heavy, so here goes-

IMG_3078 by strangething1, on Flickr

The original tires were crusty and cracked. I think they were the originals from 1976. Lots of gunk on everything, and the wheels were spraypainted grey. Since I didn't do it, not cool, plus many of the spokes were loose. I decided to get new wheels, and get a fatter tire for the back as well as a thinner whitewall for the front.

I got some big ape hangers from my friends at the bike shop. This project is also cool to me because I'm using my local shop in Myrtle Beach, and not ordering anything online. They have been very helpful!
When I stand next to the bike, the handlebars are as tall as me. I'm 6'1". Go big or go home eh?

Looking good! Yeah, big apes-- only way to go 8) I got a LBS nearby too, and like you say, just walk in and say, "I need one of these........", Jeff, the owner goes in the back and brings a new one out! He's been there for 40 years, so he's got some brand new vintage stuff 8)

The Sting-Rat is on the road, and done for now.. Until I make a vinyl gas-tank-shaped bag with flames stitched on the side. I tried to get that rear fender to work, shifting it back so that it started right under the seat, but with the bigger tires on the back, there was only about a dime's worth of clearance all around, and I could hear it rubbing when my playing card wasn't revving.
So no rear fender for now. Wow it rides smooth though.

Here's the picture parade of the finishing up:
Good thing I bought a new grass-cutter, the box worked perfectly as a bike stand..

IMG_3139 by strangething1, on Flickr

LOOKS GREAT!! I KNOW YA GET ALOT OF LOOKS ON THAT. SWEET!! PEACE

Back