The Thing

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This wasn't intended to be a Rat Rod, and I'm not even sure of the definition of a rat rod. It's a worker bike, and not a show piece. You may not can tell from the photos, but see it first hand and you'll recognize that I'm no craftsman.

This is a Worksman Front Loading Tricycle. I don't know the age, probably 25 years old or something. But Worksman still makes these, pretty much identical, and has been in business for a long time, so age is anyone's guess. I bought it used. It had been rode hard and put up wet, so to speak. There is some welding on the frame, and it's possible that two Worksman trikes were actually spliced together to make this one, not much telling. If so, it seems to be a decent job of it.

The deck on this was plywood and rotting, so the first thing I did was replace that. This also involved replacing some rusting bolts, and I spent about $20 on oddball hardware at the hardware store. ("Elevator bolts" are expensive!) I tried to use the same type of hardware as was on it (square nuts on the elevator bolts, for example), although I don't know if that was original to the trike. The rear wheel has a coaster brake. The wheel that came on it wasn't the original Worksman wheel (which is much heavier) and I could rotate the pedals a full revolution backwards before the brake kicked in. I swapped out rear wheels with an old Huffy tandem that I had, and that works better. Bendix coaster brake, if I remember right, on the Huffy wheel. The Worksman trike had a 22 tooth sprocket and put that on the Huffy wheel to keep the gearing low. I think the front sprocket is 32 teeth.

These are made with rear fenders, and mine didn't have one, so I got a generic cruiser fender from Niagara Cycles and put it on. I added the sideboard so I could haul groceries with it. The swivel joint was loose and I assumed the bearings there were just completely shot and ordered some new ones. Then when I tore into it, I found the bearings were good, just dry and loose, so I greased and adjusted them and all is well. The front wheel bearings were a little lose due to a spacer washer being missing, and I added the spacer washer and tightened them up.

I've added white reflectors under the front axle facing forward, some stick-on red reflectors on the back of the platform, a red reflector behind the seat, and some spoke reflectors on the rear wheel. I meant to add one reflector to each wheel, but they wouldn't fit the thicker Worksman spokes on the front wheels.

I've ridden this around the local bike trails a couple of times. I rode it on the 16 mile route on the Richardson Wild Ride. And my son and I took it and two unicycles and made it around White Rock Lake (about 10 miles) by trike and unicycle. Just this morning, I took the pictures here and then went to Walmart and brought $100 worth of groceries home on it with no problem.

I call this "The Thing" (name is on it, too) simply because nobody seems to know what to call them. Worksman has their name for it. I've seen them called parts haulers, cargo trikes, reverse trikes, bakfiets, etc. (My low gravity bike is now "Thing 2", named from the Cat in the Hat book with Thing 1 and Thing 2).
TheThingA.jpg

ThingB.jpg

that look's like a great way to get your cases of beer home... throw a cooler and a charcoal grill on there and your a rolling party....

Nice! I'm surprised all they put on it for brakes is a rear coaster hub brake, because you'd think if you're carrying a heavy load there's going to be a lot of momentum involved, but then again I guess nobody would be going too fast with one to begin with.

Man, I live about 6 miles from the big grocery store and in bike range, and I just got a rack and panniers for my commuter bike, but it's city streets all the way. I wish we had more bike trails around here.........

The coaster brake works okay. The main application for these models is in factories and stuff, which are usually flat. The steering is unstable enough that you don't want to be going too fast anyway, so normally 8-10 mph or something like that. If it was really hilly, you'd want better gears and better brakes, but it's fine for here. I don't think Worksman uses rim-type brakes on any of their bikes (not standard rims). They do offer disk brakes on their bikes, and have used drum brakes, and I assume they could put disk brakes on the back of this, not sure about the front.

I like that! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

That is really off the wall, and different is GOOD!

Nice one.
Rat Royale
REC Elsewhere

Nice bike . Wish I had seen your post earlier. I broke three of those reflectors off of some worksman wheels I have. I have one left , but it is big and ugly. I know a guy that might have some and if so Ill get back with you.

Hey I made a run by the guys shop and picked up 4 reflectors for 10 ga. spokes . If you want them send me you info in a pm and ill mail them to you.

I like it! Nice job with it.

I work in a paper mill, and I ride my cruiser-style Worksman Industrial Bicycle
all over the plant. They are very heavy and tough bikes. Never seems to get
any worse as far as wear either. I did just have to put a second rear tube in
mine, probably ran over something evil.

You're right about caliper brakes- they couldn't use them on the standard
26" rims. Mine has super wide rims with a very rounded sidewall. There
are reinforcing bumps around the spoke holes, 120ga spokes with super
heavy duty spoke nipples, a Shimano coaster brake, and the front hub is
a floating bearing type (like for a trike or a garden cart) with an axle inside
a sleeve. The diameter of the front hub shell is HUGE, same as the coaster
hub, so they can use the same length spokes F and R.

Mine has axle adjusters in the rear and the assembly is so heavy that you really
need to use them when assembling. I had to rework one of my dropouts to
get the rear wheel out- the frame actually got smashed thinner by the axle nuts
and sort of molded around the axle threads- I had to file out about 1/16" of
steel to get the axle out of the slot!

I have found that their chrome seems equal to Schwinn's, that is very tough
and easily restored with WD40, steel wool, Never-Dull, whatever your favorite
polish is. They do a nice job stamping the rims. Mine also has Worksman
tires marked "WTR" or something. Look like a BF Goodrich diamond tread.

Mine was missing the chainguard, and I found something in my parts stash
that would work, an all-chrome full-length curved thing. Just found out that
Niagara Cycle actually sells the real thing! It looks very similar.

Here it is getting worked on, at work, upside down on the bench to fix the
rear tube.

070508_work.jpg

Enjoy your trike!
--Rob

Back