The ThundrrrFleet

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The beast is back in town...
Don't you mess me around
IMG_20240405_110227432.jpg

I don't think I really realized just how light this thing is . Compared it to my other aluminum MTB, even though Monolith has one casette gear and one crank pulley, no derailleurs, shifters or cabling, v brakes instead of disks, and a coil shock with no damping, the Brodie is stil weighs less.

I didn't like the way the left thumbies was operating on RockRat, felt backwards. The cable run on Deerheads are reversible, so I took em apart and moved the little plastic plug from one side to the other
Before
IMG_20240510_113038778.jpg
after
IMG_20240510_113226613.jpg

Little change, huge difference, they point in the right direction now. I tried them under the bar, but it felt awkward
IMG_20240510_114710273.jpg

Used a pair of tiny zip ties to hold the chain together so I didn't have to struggle with that while operating the chain pin tool
IMG_20240510_105252531.jpg

It's a complete bike again. Just a little fiddling around maybe shortening a couple of cables
IMG_20240510_114620033.jpg

Do dreams count? Why not! Just walked around the garage, came up with a little list of stuff I need to get done.

Norco (The Prince?):
Seat and post
Stem 60-70mm
Stem spacers
Grips (Maybe steal RockRat's)
Wheelset*
Derailleurs*
V brakes (cantilevers would work better with the cable guides*)
Bottom bracket
Crank
Pedals
Cables
*Ingola has parts for me, but they're not in my hands yet. Thanks buddy!

Daddy LongLegs:
Crank
Grips
Cables

Monolith:
Pedals
Grips
Shock

RockRat:
Shifters (probably solved, if I can stop being Mr Fussy Pants)
Grips (depending on bar end decision)
Cables
Crank

Brodie (Cornelius?):
Shock tune up
3x8 Shifters/brake levers
Red race face cranks
Pedals
Grips

Expect nothing to happen this decade. I am the Pro in pro-crastinate
Ever try and join the Procrastinator’s Club? I did, back in the 1970. I still haven’t gotten my card. They said they hadn’t got around to it yet.

The Deerhead shifters were lovely. But they were far too big on that bar, didn't sit right. Ingola to the rescue with a replacement (almost) pair. One side is Suntour, the other is Microshift copy. You can only tell the difference if you read the logos. They look, function, and feel fantastic. There's an option for straight friction, or indexed 6, 7, and possibly 8 speed. I need to do some research
IMG_20240705_120528172.jpg
IMG_20240705_120616144.jpg
IMG_20240705_120602561.jpg
IMG_20240705_120540500.jpg

Everything is feeling great. Shifting is fine, will need to mess around with the limits again as the cables stretch. Also, the Kendas might be a little too fat. I don't want to switch them, I love the look, but when I'm hitting it hard, I have a little rubbing at the stays.
And it's the first time I've ridden a medium in a long time. I might need to do BMX bars

The Deerhead shifters were lovely. But they were far too big on that bar, didn't sit right. Ingola to the rescue with a replacement (almost) pair. One side is Suntour, the other is Microshift copy. You can only tell the difference if you read the logos. They look, function, and feel fantastic. There's an option for straight friction, or indexed 6, 7, and possibly 8 speed. I need to do some researchView attachment 272097View attachment 272094View attachment 272095View attachment 272096
Everything is feeling great. Shifting is fine, will need to mess around with the limits again as the cables stretch. Also, the Kendas might be a little too fat. I don't want to switch them, I love the look, but when I'm hitting it hard, I have a little rubbing at the stays.
And it's the first time I've ridden a medium in a long time. I might need to do BMX bars
I'm just stoked you have a geared bike

Latest posts

Back