the trip home from the lbs.....

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I decided to ride my hiawatha to my lbs to pick up a shift chain for the dayton and on the way back I noticed a couple of things. 1) the road bike guys look at me like I am nuts 2) the spandex wearing road bike guys are jerks (passed a mom with 3 kids close by her and didn't say a word when blowing past them, his only response was the finger when she said something about not announcing the pass on the left) 3) out of no where a guy on a lowrider schwinn goes the opposite way and says to me SWEET BIKE
so my conclusion road bikes may be lighter faster and more technologicaly advanced but the out the ordinary rides are still so much cooler and they don't require tight fitting clothes. to the guy with the lowrider- not my cup of tea per say but still way cooler than "lightweightspandexwearingjerkridertypeframes" and I would have cruised with you any day.

Disclaimer notice the above statements do NOT apply to those who are nice and wear spandex (but really it looks silly imho) and I realize that not all road bike riders are jerks but please tell your fellow riders to be courteous no matter what (I mean REALLY? giving the finger to a mom and her kids?)

Man its the exact same here, I see it all the time. we have a sea wall its prob 15-20miles goes all the way around stanley park and part way through vancouver but its all along the ocean. The Gf and I will be takin our time cruisin along the seawall with our cruisers or choppers which ever calls us out most :) see some other people on cruisers chat a bit cruise with them etc then *zoom, zoom, zoooom* "hey look out, move over, get out of the way!! " the spandex attack yells.... :x :? no warning, no annoucing, no nothin gets on my nerves man, when ever we catch up to someone walking just say "on your left" and they smile and move over.... is it that hard... they seem to think they own the road, there poop dont stink, and that all other bikes should move off the road when there near.... that felt good to rant lol but I do agree I know a few people that wear tights and ride roadies and there nice, but it seems 95% of them are rude

my 2 cents \

Ty

thanks, buck, i really needed a good laugh! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: then again, maybe you were serious? anyway, the general public veiws us all as the same group. one bad experience and its no wonder some people think were all inconsiderate jerks. i could go on, but im still laughing to hard.

I hear you! I started this thread just yesterday

http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=40582

I ride a fine line with this topic. The last thing I will allow myself to be is "One of Those Guys". I get steaming mad in my car when a bunch of these "SPANDEX WEARERS" ride shoulder to shoulder three wide when I'm trying to pass. I will not hesitate to roll down my window and yell "SINGLE FILE, SINGLE FILE"!! If they get mouthy, I keep pace and lay on my horn. Unfortunately, because of these few, everyone on a road bike gets painted with the same brush...THEY'RE ALL JERKS!

What I like about my road bike ride is this. It takes place on a Navy base, and pretty much everyone has gone home by the time I get started. YOUR tax dollars have financed a nice "bike lane" next to the main roads, and it is an awesome ride (Google Map Patuxent River, Maryland...you'll see). And finally, I am out of the way of the general public and encounter a few, and I mean a few bike riders and joggers on my afternoon ride.

Do I ride a road bike? Yes I do!
Am I one of "those guys"? NO I AM NOT!!!
Do I resent them as much as you do? ABSOLUTELY!
Do I wear SPANDEX? I wouldn't be caught dead!

One of the biggest missions, and I guess biggest disappointments, in what our cycling group does is try to promote bicycling safety.

We want people to ride safely. We want them to ride WITH TRAFFIC, on the RIGHT, SIGNAL turns, STOP where they should, and essentially be a VEHICLE when you're using the road.

I look at it this way: if you had a motor on it, you'd ride the way a car drives, right? If you rode a 50cc scooter, same deal. Electric bike, same deal. You wouldn't hop onto the sidewalk, and run it the wrong way sometimes, and not stop for a light or sign.

So education of the rules of the road, the basics, is where it starts. The oblivious mentality of the 3-wide riders (or 2-wide, too much for many streets) puts everyone at risk. Of course no driver wants to hit someone- it ruins their day even if they don't have the broken bones. (Jail time and lawsuits can change your outlook.)

The wrong-way riders need correction. They, I have to say, are probably just ignorant of the rules- no one taught them growing up, or for some reason they believe they should act as pedestrians. I've known how to properly ride since I was 6 yrs old- but a 42 yr old friend just told me she never knew- she thought it was opposite side until I told her last year.

The arrogant, risk-taking, faster-than-thou super roadbiker guys also put a lot of people at risk- pedestrians, other bicyclists, and cars that must dodge them, usually very surprised drivers who have to avoid them in a split second. These guys also make a bad name for themselves and our whole community, and of course are very visible bad examples.

On the streets, not a closed course, it's NOT a race. It should be about relaxation, exercise, transport, and some degree of concern for others. It's hard to understand the mentality of aggressive riding when the one most likely to be hurt is YOURSELF, but that's fine- don't make life worse for me because you're too impatient to slow down.

I lead a lot of rides, and I try to make sure everyone behind me knows where we're going and that we're going to ride with traffic and follow the rules of the road. IF they don't like it, they can host their own rides.

Be careful out there!
--Rob Bareiss
Chairman, Bike New London

I've noticed when i ride the bike trail here that runs along the river. Most people walking or riding cruiser type bikes usually say hello or good morning. Not so with the road bike riders I have said hello to. They usually just pretend they didn't hear me and zoom by. Once there was a big group of them and they cut me off and didn't even acknowledge me riding near them. Not saying all are like that. I actually think road bikes can be very cool. I love the looks of some of the older road bikes, and even the simplicity of some of the fixie type builds. Not really my kind of riding, but I don't get why some people are rude like that.

:lol:

it just occurred to me.

my favorite place to ride goes through what a lot of people might say is a badder part of town (depending on who you talk to it might be "the" bad part of town). it's always been a pleasant ride for me though, but i guess if those same types of guys tried that in that area they might not make it back out.

Do I ride a road bike? Yes I do!
Am I one of "those guys"? NO I AM NOT!!!
Do I resent them as much as you do? ABSOLUTELY!
Do I wear SPANDEX? I wouldn't be caught dead!

X2!

one of my bes friends, aka "uncle" john, hates these people so much. when he sees them going toward intersections he'll just park his truck in the center of the crosswalk and make them g back to push he button. it makes my day. but the way they think theyre better is just vomit enducing. especially since all it akes is a pothole to ruintheire bikes.

That is interesting information guys. Down here in San Diego the spandex people seem to be a bit different. I noticed that when riding at the beach they actually warn where they are coming up from nicely and sometimes even say thanks after passing. As for group riders, I have noticed that most move to the side as they should when a car is passing. Also when they are in rows there is enough room for cars to get by just fine.

I haven't encountered the rude ones yet.

rydr1 said:
That is interesting information guys. Down here in San Diego the spandex people seem to be a bit different. I noticed that when riding at the beach they actually warn where they are coming up from nicely and sometimes even say thanks after passing. As for group riders, I have noticed that most move to the side as they should when a car is passing. Also when they are in rows there is enough room for cars to get by just fine.

I haven't encountered the rude ones yet.

Rydr, Do you wear spandex and are you covering for your other spandex wearing brethren?
No really I kid like I said in the original post, there are plenty of great friendly riders out there but a few always make a bad name for the good. Its no differnet than skate boarders or the rocker types or certain dog breeds. You see one kid on a skate board spray painting a park bench and you think they are all that way, not true. Or you see some punk rockers or metal fanatics getting rowdy and think they all are loud and looking for a fight, again not true. or you see that mean vicious looking doberman walking down the street and it jumps up on a little girl but you look away thinking its about to horribly disfigure the girl, NOT TRUE, instead what you don't see is that the dog just wanted to give the girl a hug because the dog knows her. I use these three groups as examples because we are all familiar with them and I can say although I am NOT a skate boarder I know plenty that are and would agree with my statement, I AM the rock type and have been given dirty looks simply because of my mohawk, and I OWN a doberman who absolutely loves my girlfriends daughter and who would never hurt anybody. The stereotypes hurt the entire scene. And we all need to remember to look out for each other and ride safely. Also remember friends don't let friends wear spandex (well not a law but it should be). And reallty rydr1 I am kidding! 8)

someguy83 said:
Rydr, Do you wear spandex and are you covering for your other spandex wearing brethren?
No really I kid like I said in the original post, there are plenty of great friendly riders out there but a few always make a bad name for the good. Its no differnet than skate boarders or the rocker types or certain dog breeds. You see one kid on a skate board spray painting a park bench and you think they are all that way, not true. Or you see some punk rockers or metal fanatics getting rowdy and think they all are loud and looking for a fight, again not true. or you see that mean vicious looking doberman walking down the street and it jumps up on a little girl but you look away thinking its about to horribly disfigure the girl, NOT TRUE, instead what you don't see is that the dog just wanted to give the girl a hug because the dog knows her. I use these three groups as examples because we are all familiar with them and I can say although I am NOT a skate boarder I know plenty that are and would agree with my statement, I AM the rock type and have been given dirty looks simply because of my mohawk, and I OWN a doberman who absolutely loves my girlfriends daughter and who would never hurt anybody. The stereotypes hurt the entire scene. And we all need to remember to look out for each other and ride safely. Also remember friends don't let friends wear spandex (well not a law but it should be). And reallty rydr1 I am kidding! 8)

+1 !!!

I totally agree with you on this as well. I had a 135 pound rottweiller RIP big guy :( had to put him down due to cancer. but he was an amazing dog I have a shih tzu also yeah I know a stretch from a rottie he was my moms and I lost her to cancer also! friggin crap!! anyways hes an amazing dog also thinks hes a lab :) he clinged to me pretty much since day one and is now my best bud but anyways my Rottie and the shih tzu played like they were puppies he out weighed him by 120 pounds and theyd roll all over chase each other etc but when you walk him down the street people would cross the street or stop and step 10 ft off the sidewalk as we passed. its not fair to the breeds he was a bigger baby then the shih tzu is always tried to climb on your lap lol. but unfortunately its the poorly trained and the dogs you see "in the movies" being aggressive gaurd dogs that give rotties, pitts, and dobies bad names

Ty

Tychevelle said:
someguy83 said:

+1 !!!

I totally agree with you on this as well. I had a 135 pound rottweiller RIP big guy :( had to put him down due to cancer. but he was an amazing dog I have a shih tzu also yeah I know a stretch from a rottie he was my moms and I lost her to cancer also! friggin crap!! anyways hes an amazing dog also thinks hes a lab :) he clinged to me pretty much since day one and is now my best bud but anyways my Rottie and the shih tzu played like they were puppies he out weighed him by 120 pounds and theyd roll all over chase each other etc but when you walk him down the street people would cross the street or stop and step 10 ft off the sidewalk as we passed. its not fair to the breeds he was a bigger baby then the shih tzu is always tried to climb on your lap lol. but unfortunately its the poorly trained and the dogs you see "in the movies" being aggressive gaurd dogs that give rotties, pitts, and dobies bad names

Ty

The girlfriend has a shi tzu and it for some reason has taken a strong liking to me as well so don't feel embearassed. I know how it is, they choose you, not you choosing them.

someguy83 said:
The girlfriend has a shi tzu and it for some reason has taken a strong liking to me as well so don't feel embearassed. I know how it is, they choose you, not you choosing them.

Im not embarassed :) he's my boy I dont care what other people think im 6.1 250 pounds and people are always like "thats your dog?" and I always say ya you got a prob with it take it up with him lol but your right they pick us he's never more then 10ft away from me at all times aside from when im at work follows me everywhere gets excited when he sees me getting a bike out cause he knows he gets to come, even in the process of building him a full suspension radio flyer as a trailer so he can come on longer rides :)
SAM_0466.jpg

Sorry hope I didnt try derail or hijack your thread!

but I feel what your saying man, I just wish all "bikers" would get along it does seem the cruiser people are nicer dont know why but it seems like theres different groups in all hobbies

Ty

I'm a roadie much more than a Rodder (but I do have lots of bikes from BMX to 29er MTB and a few fixies tossed in for good measure) and while I can understand the frustration I also think a lot of the issues related here are probably just misunderstanding.

When I'm riding on the road, legally, I act as if I'm a car. I do ride as far right as is safe and I do obey signs and lights, etc. but I also "take a lane" when necessary for my own (and others') safety. If I'm in traffic and need to turn left I'm in the middle of the lane to make sure I can make the turn without getting creamed- AGAIN! I wonder if the woman who ran the stop sign and hit me a few years ago was being considerate?

Sure, there are lots of jerks out there- and I've ridden with some and met many others- but to say just because a guy on a road bike didn't smile, wave and share a beer with you is a jerk just doesn't make sense. You are riding for one set of reasons- fun, a nice cruise with your lady, to watch the sunset, etc. and he may be riding for entirely different reasons like a workout, training for a long race or similar and needs to keep his pace, heartrate in a zone for targets, etc. Just because he doesn't want to be like you doesn't mean he's arrogant, or worse. If I'm on the road and riding legally- within the posted speed limit I don't understand what the issue is.

And let us not forget about the multitudes of meatheads in their cars whizzing past as close as possible because they think it's funny. A 3,000 car against my 165 lbs and 18lb bike is not a good fit. Full disclosure: I own several cars and pay taxes on all of them. The fact that many drivers feel THEY own the road and yell at me to get off is alarming. If you actually looked at the law, most states say a bicycle is no different than a car and must obey by the same rules of the road, so "getting on a sidewalk, like I've heard yelled is actually illegal.

As for the spandex- muscle compression is one reason for it, aerodynamics another, moisture "wicking" yet another. Bright flashy colors are supposed to help drivers "see" us on the road- a difficult thing to do when talking on a phone and tuning the iPod.

And to the guy who's uncle blocks the crosswalk...really? Is that what makes him feel good? Illegally blocking a roadway so a guy has to push a button again?

Latest posts

Back