"The Typhoon"

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well I only recently started checking out this site and decided that my Schwinn that I am eventually going to motorize would be the perfect bike for me to do for my first build off
Basically I am starting with a 1980's Schwinn frame that i got in a bulk buy of about 7 newer cruisers

Originally since the paint wasn't in to bad of shape so I was going to just restore it and started buying parts for the restoration. However i failed to notice the kickstand cartridge had been taken off. I guess that's why it was so cheap

I could get a kickstand cartridge, weld it on, and repaint the bike but i think doing a build up the way it is would be kooler

My goal since i don't have a lot of time is doing a cross between a motorcycle board track racer and an early velodrome racing bicycle so that way it is still somewhat comfortable to ride until i can get the engine put in

"1" Schweet Racer

MONARKofSoCal said:
Well I only recently started checking out this site and decided that my Schwinn that I am eventually going to motorize would be the perfect bike for me to do for my first build off
Basically I am starting with a 1980's Schwinn frame that i got in a bulk buy of about 7 newer cruisers

http://i1064.photobucket.com/albums/u36 ... 2_9736.jpg

Originally since the paint wasn't in to bad of shape so I was going to just restore it and started buying parts for the restoration. However i failed to notice the kickstand cartridge had been taken off. I guess that's why it was so cheap

http://i1064.photobucket.com/albums/u36 ... 2_9738.jpg

I could get a kickstand cartridge, weld it on, and repaint the bike but i think doing a build up the way it is would be kooler

My goal since i don't have a lot of time is doing a cross between a motorcycle board track racer and an early velodrome racing bicycle so that way it is still somewhat comfortable to ride until i can get the engine put in

Welcome to the party!

Use the "[\img]" with your photo links so they display as pics in your thread instead of just a link to your Photobucket.

96f0a812.jpg

f965485a.jpg

Re: "1" Schweet Racer

Cool another entry! Welcome to BO7. I started my first build last year with only 30 days to go, so you have plenty of time.
Nice start and ideas.
I am looking forward to seeing your progress.
Get to Building!!!

Here are a few more parts that I wanted to show before the go on the bike.

102_9750_zps67276590.jpg

102_9749_zps84b84c38.jpg

102_9754_zps9c7ce0a1.jpg

I originally got these when I bought a 70's Schwinn road bike to part out back when i was going to restore the cruiser.I found it was cheaper to buy a complete bike and pull what I needed handlebars, seat post, pedals, etc then sell the rest. That of course was before my plans changed.

I was originally not going to keep the seat but it fit the board track style well and with the schwinn badge on the back and the fact the handle bars also had schwinn stamped on them i feel it will give the bike a racing Homologation feel to it

102_9748_zps977427ac.jpg

102_9752_zps03e5a3d2.jpg

ok I was originally going to use s-7 wheels that I had got for free from my girlfriends brother in law. however since I have limited experience with older Schwinns i didn't know the tires for those rims required special size tires that you cant get new and since it will be a rider I needed something more practical
Luckily i was able to find this set of s-2 rims with tires on them at $50 for the set I don't know if these are original s-2 or repop since the have a shimano coaster but like the tires even though they are white wall they have the brick tread and have schwinn classic printed on them so I feel the will work well enogh for the look i am trying to achieve
102_9740_zpse5985bcd.jpg

102_9745_zps779d1597.jpg

102_9743_zps180724e6.jpg

Wow I wish I had known about those tires before I traded the wheels, but they went to a good home and I got a discount on a custom skate board he makes. I will try to get pics of it soon

Well one thing that really sucks about getting started late is not having all the needed parts (as well as cash to buy them when you need them)
Fortunately i was able to trade the ladies road bike frame that I had leftover to a schwinn lover for a set of schwinn springer forks he had I don't know how to tell if they are really by schwinn, but they fit and had the as bolts have the AS so good enough for this build
Plus i like the patina (rust/pitting). It kinda matches the frame. Gives it a nice raced look

102_9786_zps48db1578.jpg

102_9787_zps4a55ba25.jpg

Now i need to start looking for the pedal assembly and sprocket
also need a seat post I have an idea for one if i can find what I'm looking for, but may have to fabricate it
Let the hunt begin

You're building up your parts pretty quickly, just don't forget to leave time to build the bike! :p :mrgreen:

The plan calls for more of an assembly of the bike once all the pieces are there not really a true "build" since there will not be any repainting, major fabricating, etc (besides collecting schwinn parts are a lot easier than the stuff i really want)
that's more for next year when i can prepare, collect, and take full advantage of the time frame

MONARKofSoCal said:
The plan calls for more of an assembly of the bike once all the pieces are there not really a true "build" since there will not be any repainting, major fabricating, etc (besides collecting schwinn parts are a lot easier than the stuff i really want)
that's more for next year when i can prepare, collect, and take full advantage of the time frame

When you get my age, if it takes more than an hour and you have to use more than one hand tool it is a build!

Throw those parts together and ride proud!

Rg

Welcome to the site and to the build man. Nice parts there. Judging by your screen name, I'd assume you have a Monark too?? :mrgreen:

well not entirely its actually because I have a fondness for older huffys (the brand that bought out Monark in the 60's) as well as some newer ones and since huffy was located in Azusa well hence the name MonakofSoCal although I do plan to start collecting Monarks since I think they are the best looking bicycles period

OK so now that 4th of July has come and gone i was finally able to get back to my RRB project. So here are a few teaser pics
I was able to find the pedal assembly i needed buried in my parts pile from a few years ago

102_9791.jpg

the assembly i believe was from a schwinn road bike but i.m not sure and it had this sprocket on it that i needed in order to motorize my stingray but the the guy would part it out so i bought the whole setup. Good to thing since i ended up realty needing it

I was just going to throw a standard schwinn sprocket on my RRB contender until i found this MAG sprocket that i bought with some other parts at a swap meet. I figured it ended costing about $3 total for it
102_9799_zpsb1303ee5.jpg

The picture is of the back the rust was producing a really nice hammered effect that goes well with the rest of the patina i cant bring myself to clean it

So here is my contender partly assembled front tire had to stay off only way i could get it to stand with no kickstand
102_9799.jpg

Almost forgot to show next part of the project

These where the "Rat Trap" pedals that where with the pedal assembly i thought they fit the velodrom racer feel plus i has to be little good luck having a part with rat in it for the RRB
102_9802_zps56870bec.jpg

I couldn't figure out what color i wanted to paint over the yellow
It would be to hard to match the frames Champagne color
Didn't know if a spray chrome would look good so i didn't want to try
Could have left them bare metal but nothing else on the bike is
then i discovered this rubber spray in the spray can section not only will it give a nice black color similar to the tires but also makes this style of pedal a bit more comfortable to ride

Looking sharp, I want to see how the plastic dip paint turns out.

Ditto!! I can paint my whole bike with it an watch the competition bounce off me :mrgreen: Sweet build so...GTB!! Peace

Name change "The Typhoon" (formally "1" Schweet racer)

Due to one of the tires i had separating between the white wall and the black tread I will be hopefully able to revamp my RRB project to an idea i came up with when in between looking for a replacement tire and an idea for next time RRB competition I will be trying to make a boardtrack/velodrome bike that looks like schwinn had a factory backed racer that ended up inspiring the typhoon line I am using the cyclone boardtrack motorcycle as a base for my idea since I hope i can complete it before the deadline
cyclone.jpg

Re: "The Typhoon" (formally"1" Schweet Racer)

Nice work thus far! :D

Latest posts

Back