The VolkCycle

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At the end of July a friend and I were visiting a terminally ill car friend. We were there to record the cars and vast collection of car parts he wanted to move out of his house and garage before he checks out. In the carport there were two bikes hanging from the ceiling. I asked him if one was a Schwinn. He said it wasn't and asked If I'd like to have it. A bit surprised I said yes and took it down.

He got me a rag so I could brush away 15 years of accumulated dust and filled the tires up. I didn't try to ride it until later when I got on some level ground.

After a few adjustments to the seat height and handlebars I could ride it around the block.
Thecruiser.jpg

One of the first changes I made was taking the fenders off. They were rusty and one of the rear struts was bent and brushed the sidewall of the rear tire.
Fendersgonecleanedup.jpg

Since it had been hanging up in a carport exposed to moisture there was a significant amount of surface rust on the chrome. A trip to the local bike shop said to use an aerosol furniture polish and steel wool to remove the surface rust. The furniture polish, they said softens the rust and minimizes damaging the chrome with the steel wool.

Two weeks ago I went to a flea market and picked up cruiser type handlebars for $2. I put them on last weekend and I like the feel and look but I couldn't get the neck stem to hold them firmly enough without allowing movement.
2cruiserhandlebars.jpg

The bike store said to try using a strip of aluminum from a beer can to act as a shim between the bars and stem. I put two shims in but it still didn't hold it tight enough.
IMG_0511.jpg

The stem was as tight as it could go and the store didn't have any replacements in my size so I took matters into my own hands and cut the stem retainer back.
IMG_0512.jpg

IMG_0516.jpg

This took care of the loose handlebars.

Back