THe "Wrap Rod"

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Well I've been reading up on many builds, love all the creativity. I didn't think I was going to build another one, but I couldn't help myself! I picked this bike up for cheap, wasn't sure what I was going to use it for.
first.jpg

Sterted to chopper-fy it, and after all the work to convert the steer tube to fit the head tube, I didn't really like it.
forks.jpg

Picked up these springer forks, now we're getting somewhere!
springertoo.jpg

Didn't really want to repaint it, after taking the stickers off, the metal flake greeen didn't look too bad. but didn't really go with the forks as well as I'd like. And the chrome ape's looked low-rider-ish with the metal flake paint, and didn't look right with the forks either. So I thought of a few ideas.. paint the bars? Or I could use large shrink tube? Electrical tape? And it hit me, I'll use hockey tape to wrap the bars! Then the idea to wrap the whole frame came up. Couldn't find brown hockey tape, so ordered some fabric bar tape. I did end up wrapping the bars with black hockey tape though.
wrapped.jpg

floor.jpg

I got six rolls, that as far as it got me, had to order 4 more rolls, they came in sets of two, (for handlebars), but they messed up and sent two. Wrapped som more, waited for other two to come, then finished wrapping the frame. Didn't think I wanted to shellac it, but decided to go ahead, brown came out real nice! Hence, the "Wrap Rod"!
color.jpg

Welcome to BO7!!!
Very cool start. I think you should change the name to "Wrapper's Delight"!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKTUAESacQM

Everybody go, Hotel Motel ,,,,, Holiday Inn (SAY WHAT!!!)
If your girl starts actin up, then you take her friend

i dont mean to brag i dont mean to boast
but we like hot butter on our breakfast toast....dang....i think i still have that tape(yes i said tape!) as well as the lp from when that first came out 8)
sorry...just couldnt resist....as for the bike it looks good with the monark springer on it and it would look fine with the apes/triple tree forks(cut them down about a foot so youve got 1/8" tire clearance and youre good to go)...
welcome aboard and have fun!

Digging the 'wrapped' look...a LOT!

Why not combine the triple tree and the Monark springer? You could cut the triple's legs or see if the Monark would mount (maybe flip the bracket) under the bearing race (may have to open the hole up to 1 1/8") like my 'underbite' concept.

DSCF3235.jpg

Looking great so far, keep it up!

Cheers,
Dr. T

Oh man Kingfish, "Wrapper's Delight"!!! I am seriously thinking about the name change! I thought I was clever with the wrap/rat, but yours is even..clever-er..!
And Dr. T, some said either the triple tree or the springer would be fine, but leave it to you to combine them! Thats thinking outside the bixe..!
Well don't think I'll go with the triple tree/chopper forks, they have a screw in the top of the bars to hold to top plate, and axle mount is welded on bottom. I have some skills, but no means of welding the cut bars together. I'm sure I could cut em' and put a sleeve inside and bolt them or something, but I think I'll just forget that idea. Plus I already have a Giant Stiletto, it's no Schwinn Spoiler, but a chopper style I have, rather build something non chopper at this point.
I did move the grip shift down to the cantilever bars, I cut a length off some cruiser bars:

cutoffhandlebar.jpg

I cut a slot out, then cut two rounded cutouts, didn't get a picture of the cutouts before I put it on.

cutbar.jpg

Then added a few clamps from the hardware store, set the shifter, put a cap in the end. Not sure what I'm going to do with the other side, maybe just cut it off and cap it too. And possibly fabricate a stick instead of the grip shift? I dunno yet.. It's a 7 speed, so no old school indexed sticks will work, don't really want a friction shifter. I know, maybe not as ratty as a single speed, but I plan to ride this thing, and too many hills in this area for a single speed!

newshifter.jpg

You are more than welcome on the name idea. I think there is already one build that used a name I suggested and another that is building his side build based on my input. Just call me the Name Whisperer. :p

Nice shifter work. There are plenty of cool examples of people adding stickshifts to gripshifts for inspiration.

The tape idea is pretty cool. It made me think of a mummy. You could incorporate the beer bike theme and call it Mummy Beer-rest? No wire hangers! I look forward to see what you do with the stick shift.

Well always amazed at all the ideas people come up with! Even if you do something you come up with, it doesn't mean it hasn't already been done before, you just didn't know it was out there. And even so, still cool you thought of it on your own too, and why not share it? Sometimes inspiration is sparked from another's idea! Just love gettin' the ol' creative juices flowing, and make your art in rideable form!

Well I think I'll use this seat, really like the look of it:
seat.jpg

but also have this one, a little higher rise in the rear:
seat2.jpg

Here are the bars all wrapped with hockey tape, I dig the look of these!:
blackedoutbars.jpg

blackedoutdetail.jpg

And I had a set of whitewalls, used a magnum sharpie to black em' out.. hey, it worked! As Newt from Aliens would say, Mostly!
sharpeetire.jpg

Both of those nanners are very cool. TOugh choice, I would have to see them on the bike.

food for thought...the 2nd banana has a more busy pattern, and narrower pleats to match the wraps. just throwing that against the wall

Well got er' up on wheels and chained, took it for a little test ride. I realized when I slowed I didn't tighten the handlebars too tight, they rolled foward.. I had to laugh at myself! Anyways that was before I added a fender, for some reason, this fender gave me a rash of trouble, but I got it mounted, and finally no rubbing anywhere. I had first just added the brass "knurled" nuts for light fixtures to atttach the fender mounts, then once on the bolt, reminded of chess pawns, so I added some brass balls.. which led to a rail addition. Man, I am proficient with a drill and a dremel, but have no shop or welder or metal lathe or cnc machine, etc! But I got it done! Anyways, like how it came out. And I like how the fender mount lines up pretty close to the sissy bar line.
fender2.jpg

fender-1.jpg

Then back to the seat..

Here is seat #1 then seat #2. Man, I really like #1, although the consensus seems to favor #2.
seatchange2-1.jpg

seatchange2.jpg

Man, once on the bike, I really like #1. The straight bottom evens out the curvier frame, along with the straight forks. (Dr. T, I'm not opposed to trading, but I do like it better.)

Back