The Wright Special

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The saddle looks big and the bars look big, that frame must be really small? I can't remember for sure, but those must be 26" wheels on there? They look proportional.

Those bars are neat. I would have used something like that on 50 SS if I had found them.

I've got the grinder mounted to the vise, but can't find my safety glasses. I tried one tooth and it's good.

18 Nov skip.jpg

I just finished and cleaned everything up. No pic but it's just a plate bolted into the hole the handle would go in. Hand grinders have an attachment on either side for the handle. On the web, I Iearned how to do it, but they used angle iron and drilled holes. The plate I had already had holes drilled and it bolted right on, then I tightened the plate in the vise.

I was able to get a grinding disc and knocked out both sprockets in about a half hour.
19 Nov skip.jpg

I think it looks like a skip tooth drivetrain, unless you look closely and see the standard chain. I still have to change out the cog on the coaster.

19 Nov skip2.jpg

WC, very cool work on that crankset conversation. It really looks like a skip, tooth.

To add to the grinder vise mount thing, I checked every couple of cuts to be sure it was still secure. It never loosened up, but I always check. Also, I positioned it so the rotation is downward, to keep a lot of the sparks and debris away from my face. It still made a mess but was easier to clean up than if the rotation was upward. The guard was positioned so the work couldn't catch on it, the part being worked wouldn't have anything to grab onto. Safety goggles too.
If I were to have an incident with any of my power tools, I would never hear the end of it, so I make sure it's safe while making a lot of noise and throwing sparks.

To add to the grinder vise mount thing, I checked every couple of cuts to be sure it was still secure. It never loosened up, but I always check. Also, I positioned it so the rotation is downward, to keep a lot of the sparks and debris away from my face. It still made a mess but was easier to clean up than if the rotation was upward. The guard was positioned so the work couldn't catch on it, the part being worked wouldn't have anything to grab onto. Safety goggles too.
If I were to have an incident with any of my power tools, I would never hear the end of it, so I make sure it's safe while making a lot of noise and throwing sparks.
100%: safety first. The setup looks ingenious, though!!!! -But I completely understand the vice mixed with vibration definitely poses some risk.

i have a really nice vice….. it’s on the floor of my garage waiting on my “someday” house! 😎. I do use my handheld grinder though!!!!!

I tried my other handlebars, but nothing works except the ones I had on there at first. There's still plenty of time for something to come along that might be better. I added the skip tooth cog and aligned the frame for the coaster hub. It was wide for a 10 speed hub originally. I was using a big spacer on the axle but the brake arm hung too far inward. So I adjusted the chain stays the old fashioned way with my foot and the floor. It worked, I remembered to go little by little and recheck it numerous times. So the driveline is done.

25 Nov 22 drivetrain.jpg

When I remember to actually buy some blades for my angle grinder, I will also be mounting mine like this :)

Latest posts

Back