thieves =weasels

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I went to our local grocery store who still happens to sell bike inner tubes :!: at a reasonable price :!:
The ones the carry are the boxed kind. I went to grab some 26", and all the boxes were empty.. some weasel pocketed them all. :x

This always drives me nuts, mostly b/c petty theft is ridiculous and low, but also b/c it would surely be easier to steal the tubes undetected if you just took the box with 'em. to open the box, fumble with the tube as you conceal it, and then put the empty box back on the shelf without being seen--- surely, it'd be easier to just toss the whole package into your bag?

Yeah but sometimes stores put those set off strips inside the boxes to trip the detectors at the door, by a thief ditching the box he also ditches chances of getting caught. Little weasels. :x

plus the store doesn't realize they were stolen because the box is still on the shelf. Happens where I work far too often. :x

in my continuing quest for local tubes, I went to a different chain that happened to carry tubes as well. They had a bunch, but some didn't feel right... some boxes had tubes in them, but they were obviously "preowned".. one was rather light, and I assume had a 12 or 16" tube instead of a 26". must be a tube theft syndicate infesting our town.

I've got to say, being an inner tube thief has got to be the most pathetic criminal lifestyle I have ever heard of.

I get my tubes online, usually. Buy a bunch at once, as part of a larger order, to get free shipping. The guys taking tubes out of the boxes ain't the only thieves; the guys charging $6+ for a <$3 tube are kinda like thieves, too.

My story is really off the wall.
I change my own oil/filter on my Miata.
I bought one of those 5 qt. bottles of oil at Wal-Mart.
Right before I started to pour the new oil back in the engine, I noticed something looked odd.
Someone had filled the bottle back up with water and returned it to Wal-Mart.
Could have destroyed my engine. :(
Never paid any attention before, but make sure that the bottle you get off the shelf does not have the cap seal broken.

I part out so many scrapyard bikes I haven't had to buy a tube in years! :mrgreen: I have a stockpile of tubes, tires, seats, chains, and other junk.... grips are a different story though always missing or too grungy to use.

Funny thing is I normally pay about the same for a scrapyard bike as a single tube costs.

Back