Think my Worksman is bad luck.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After buying my used porto tryke 2 weeks ago this has happened.

First "longer ride" the brakes dont hold so I hit a ditch slightly bending the rear axle on right side. Rideable but wheel was alittle out of line.

Cant remove frozen freewheel hub to remove and straighten axle. Destroy freewheel in the process so I took tryke to my machine shop for an estimated 25.00 repair.

Guy calls from machine informing me they destroyed the axle AND freewheel hub getting apart.He has to make a new axle (25.00). I have to buy a new fw hub (20.00) new bearings ( 10.00).

In the end it should be like new but geez who woulda thought a s7mple repair would end up being such a nightmare.

I dont understand how the fw hub was that frozen to the axle. He said they heated it and still wouldnt budge so they cut it apart with a torch.

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk

I've seen freewheels pretty well fused to hubs; riding them is a constant tightening process, and the low gearing on your 20"-wheel trike contributes to higher-than-usual torque, but the main problem probably came from a lack of lube when the FW was installed... Every new Worksman i've ever tossed a wrench at came extremely dry, from the factory. I bet that's the original freewheel, its threads were probably never lubed, and it's been tightened further each time it was ridden for however many years....

But, yeah, it might also be cursed. A lot of bikes seem to be.

I am not talking about the fw being screwed on tight. They couldnt budge the adaptor which just slides on the axle and secured with a key and setscrew. Those usually slide right off with almost no effort.

Sent from my GT-P5113 using Tapatalk

Back