Thinking about selling my hotrod

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Someone talk me out of it. The wife and I have been taking about a kitchen remodel and maybe a kid...

1459060_10201572387086117_1526763036_n.jpg

488015_10201572471208220_1982449125_n.jpg

I have always had "fun cars". Or "toys" as I call em. It's really no big deal. I have one of the baddest cars I've ever owned right now that was a dream come true type of car when I bought it. After three years I'm tired of it and I'm just about ready to sell it. I miss all of the cars I've sold terribly but the next one is always just as special for a while at least. Just bite the bullet and sell it. Buy your wife a new kitchen and be the hero for a while and build yourself another car later. Trust me, you will miss that rod for a long time but the next one will fill that void. And then the one after that, and the one after that, etc. etc.

BTW. That's a pretty good looking death trap you got there. ;) lol

I have had to fight my whole life to keep a hot rod......
My advice is, get a loan against the value of the car.

Rat Rod said:
As cool as hot rods are...kids are much cooler ;)
Yeah! So trade ya my kids for your car?

KIDDING of course.

Sell it if you can be happy with what you can get money wise. I had a 67 dart strip car ion was building. I sold it when my wife was pregnant. I sold my 31 Essex coupe after my son was born. I couldn't see myself putting him in the car. You smelled like exhaust gas and oil when you got out. It Was anything but safe. I built a 74 duster cruiser instead. It's safer more comfortable, more reliable, more practical. We probably put 15,000 miles on it as a family having a blast. Took it on vacations. You can still have fun but your wants needs and priorities will change.

If you must have children then sell it and buy another vintage or retro car. Like a 60s-80s era 4-door or a wagon. Let your imagination run wild.

I sold my car when I went to Iraq to give my family a stash of cash for emergencies. Hated doing it but their needs were more important than mine. Now, my oldest is 16 and he and my 12 y/o have been helping me with my current car restoration. A car is just a car. You'll always have the memories to go with it. But if you have kids to do another car with, you'll make new and better memories. Not just for you, but for them as well.

Chips_Mahoy said:
I sold my car when I went to Iraq to give my family a stash of cash for emergencies. Hated doing it but their needs were more important than mine. Now, my oldest is 16 and he and my 12 y/o have been helping me with my current car restoration. A car is just a car. You'll always have the memories to go with it. But if you have kids to do another car with, you'll make new and better memories. Not just for you, but for them as well.

I couldn’t agree more with the last sentence. Many years ago when my kids were young I had a 70 VW convertible. We were dead ... broke and about a week before Christmas a guy pulls up and offers me cash because he wants to buy the car for his girlfriend. I sold the car and my kids had a really nice Christmas. Some years later I had a 66 Mustang and under similar circumstances sold this as well. To this day my kids say how much they appreciate me selling that VW so they could have a nice Christmas. I sometimes miss those cars but have no regrets about selling them. My youngest is now a junior in college and I am able to have a nice sports car so it all works out in the end.

mikeeebikey said:
I have had to fight my whole life to keep a hot rod......
My advice is, get a loan against the value of the car.

I've read all the post and all make good points. This quote sums it up.

Back