Thinking of picking up a Stelber...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Well, I've been trying to find a low priced older 24" boy's bike locally for my chick's son. I'm trying to keep him away from the Walmart/Target MIC bikes. While cruising CL, I found this 60's Stebler that I'm thinking of getting for him. I know nothing about them except for a bit I learned on RRB & Google. Apparently they're not the best of quality & may even use crank bushings instead if bearings. Anyone else have any info? Would it be worth getting? I figure he'll only ride it for a couple years until he needs a 26". It looks to be in pretty good shape and had a springer-type front fork installed, possibly a Spaceliner. Seller asking $125. Thanks for any input guys. Hoping to go check it tonight or tomorrow.

5Gf5F45X53k53G53F4c3ca3a55f8f5060194c.jpg

5W05F45H73L33pd3Nac3c98c35e39d08417ac.jpg

No, that one is gone. It was a Western Flyer a member had for sale. I should have picked it up, but the kid wasn't feeling it. It was cheaper, but with shipping would have been about the same prices as this one. I was hoping to find something local so I can actually check it out up close for myself.

I should probably duck after I say this on here but for 125 bucks I'd get a Wal-Mart schwinn breeze. You get the red wheels + Truss Rods + Rack + repro chain guard. For the money its the schwinn all day. Get it and personalize by stripping it -painting -adding to it. It's a good jump off point for the hobby. Now if that Stelber had a full tank on it (never seen one like that tho) I would say jump but thats just a matter of personal taste. Btw I have a Stelber I got for parts. It did not age well but thats the Pacific North West's fault not the bike's.

heyslugger said:
I should probably duck after I say this on here but for 125 bucks I'd get a Wal-Mart schwinn breeze. You get the red wheels + Truss Rods + Rack + repro chain guard. For the money its the schwinn all day. Get it and personalize by stripping it -painting -adding to it. It's a good jump off point for the hobby. Now if that Stelber had a full tank on it (never seen one like that tho) I would say jump but thats just a matter of personal taste. Btw I have a Stelber I got for parts. It did not age well but thats the Pacific North West's fault not the bike's.

BLASPHEMY!!!!!!

I actually thought of that. The Huffy Cranbrook & Good Vibrations 24" models seemed to fit the bill, except for being MIC. Should I just forget wanting him to have something classic & give in to Walmart? Maybe they're not so bad. What kid wouldn't want a brand new shiny bike??? Right..? He probably won't know the difference either way. I will though... Any thoughts? Anyone have experience with these bikes? Both are about $100, but seem a bit hard to find right now. Have they been discontinued?

In the Bike talk section there is a GREAT review on the breeze. Do a search for New Schwinns I think it was. I ordered a fork from pacific cycles just so i could get the new truss rods. The quality is really good. Check for that review.

Ok. Did a little reading about the Breeze. Seems to be a pretty nice China bike. My main concern though is finding a bike that this lil guy can actually ride. He's 10yrs old and 4'6" or so. He tried his mom's 26" Schwinn and there's no way it's gonna work for him. Not now anyway. That's why I've ben looking for a 24". Unless I have it all wrong and there are 26" wheeled cruisers that have a frame design that will make it easier for him to handle.

Latest posts

Back