THIS IS AGRAVATING ME!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok
u guys all build these low riders and are all like just put a springer and bars on it
ok simple
so i go get a bike
think think o yeah how bout a low rider
alright all is good
so I'm lookin around at springers and i can't find one with a 21 point w/e mm steer tube
I'm using a 20 inch 1968 boys stingray style frame
so here the dilemma
will a 22 mm steer tube fit in the schwinn 21 mm steer tube and if not, where can i find the right springer?!?!?
g'so pete i'm gettin FRUSTRATED and all i wanna do is build the dag-on bike

but if u guys could tell me it'd be great

THANKS!

Mopar,RELAX,this is supposed to be FUN...remember? (yeah right) ...

Im no springer expert,but I 'think' you can swap the steer tube in your springer with the size ya need.I think.

Short answer:

The lowrider springer will fit your 1968 Stingray.

The lowrider springers will accept both 22.2mm and 21.1mm stems

If you already have a 21.1 stem you want to use, a 21.1 x 32.5 x 27 mm headset.

If you need to buy a stem, the 22.2mm size is most common so just get a 22.2 x 32.5 x 27 mm headset to match your new stem.

I have a 1968 Stingray (August 1968 to be exact :mrgreen: ) beside me here that I'm measuring. The Head tube ID is 32.5mm. The height of the headtube is 4".

Chaingang has a good diagram at the bottom of this link:

http://www.chainganglowrider.com/Part%2 ... adsets.htm

Curtis (chainganglowrider) is a good guy to deal with BTW

Likewise, Aztlan is also good to deal with. Phone or email them and they'll set you up with the parts you need.

LMK if this helps - if you need more info, I'll post some pic's to help explain it.

-Mp

ok
breath
ok i'm relaxed
what if i test fited a 22 mm stem and it didn't fit?
does that mean a 22mm steer tube on the springer won't?
at least i think it is a 22mm stem..........anyone got conversion to inches?>

o yea
the only problem with the chain gang guys cause i was planning on oredering from em but they only .... to canada and gues whatt i'm in america

bummer

i thought it was 7/8 but wasn't positive
i think the bike will hold the 22mm stem and steer tube as long as i get the matching size but i'm still not 100% sure

THANKS!

i agree but this will be a 40 dollar mistake
and when youe 14 its not always easy to come across 40 bucks

THANKS!

got any pics?
This is a 26 in. springer on a 20 in. frame.
Bought the springer from bicycledesigner.com
had to cut the steer tube down, but fits O.K.
100_1116.jpg

I forgot to mention, they sell headsets too. 21.1 mm and 22.2
about 6 bucks and they come with cups and bearings and everything..

well i guess that answers it then!
i just that frame and i planned on ordering from them guess
if i were to get the 26 inch bent springer with the 22mm steer tube i would get the 22mm stem correct?

THANKS A MILLION! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

well it worked for me...now the steer tube is VERY long so it will need cut.
I installed everything on the frame except the neck and then put an old top threaded piece (dont know the real name) on and ran a hacksaw across it while mounted on the bike. Then removed said piece (it cleaned up the threads while removing) and put the new one on and blammo...DONE :D :D

dude thanks a lot
I'm not worried bout it being to long i got stuff to cut it with
i just wanted to make sure i had my junk together before i ordered it all then got it here and was like DAG!!!

THANKS!

no prob..just a heads up...you can get the straight springer, instead of the bent, and run it without the spring for a little more rake. I rode a 20" with a bent springer and it would "lift" the front when ya turn...

As promised, here's a little more headset info for you moparmayhem.

I've measued the inside diameter of the steer tube on a lowrider springer. It measures 22.3mm, this means that both a 22.2 and a 21.1 mm stem will fit. Yes, a 22.2mm is ideal for these forks but DON'T PANIC - a 21.1mm will fit and work fine with the correct headset. I've used a stem as small as 20.5mm with no problems.

Now, from what you've told me via PM, your stem is a 21.1mm.

So:

To fit a 1968 Stingray, you will need to use a 21.1 x 32.5 x 27mm headset.

In the picture below, the arrow points to the headset topnut.

topnut3zc4.png

The topnut is the only part that's different between a 21.1 x 32.5 x 27mm and a 22.2 x 32.5 x 27mm headset.

The hole in the topnut (indicated by the arrow) is either 21.1 or 22.2mm

topnut4ru6.png

You can actually use a 22.2mm topnut with a 21.1 stem but the fit is a little sloppy. Obviously, you can't use a 22.2mm stem with a 21.1mm topnut because it won't fit through the hole.

I hope this helps (and hasn't just added more confusion)

It's sounds like you've got this figured out, but LMK if you need more info

-Mp

Back