This seems to often surprise, shock, or upset people...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
web.jpg

I just picked this Kona A'ha up a couple weeks ago. I just ordered some brown Fat Franks for it and will be taking the frame/forks to get blasted and powder coated very soon...as of right now I'm going with black. This isn't the flag, it's a blue/red fade with white decals. Kona calls it "Stars & Bars" and I call it gaudy. Anyway, In the short time I have had it, I get a lot of reactions regarding my decision to paint it. Sure, it's unique looking, but that doesn't make it any more attractive. I find it obnoxious myself but I love the frame. I'd been looking for a SS/Fixed bike and this finally popped up on my local CL, so I pounced. Anyway, by the time I am done with it the only thing not getting replaced is the frame/forks...but they will get repainted.

What are your thoughts on this? Is this some super rare Kona paint job or something that I am about to deface? Are people just sensitive to the resemblance to the flag? I don't get it.

I could care less if its the flag or not, I think its just the 90s style. I love the looks, I could do without the stars though.

Do what you want, I'm just giving you a hard time. I would keep it just to keep it.

TheFlyingDingo said:
I could care less if its the flag or not, I think its just the 90s style. I love the looks, I could do without the stars though.

Do what you want, I'm just giving you a hard time. I would keep it just to keep it.

I didn't post this because of you, :wink: for the record. The guys at my LBS's, neighbors, peers, other forums/sites, etc. all have the same reaction. Just got me wondering is all.

To me it is begging to have a tank, some whitewalls, an old school springer fork, and a ratty paint job. :mrgreen:

Tater said:
Do what you want with it. Life is too short to bother with letting others shape your aesthetic sensibility.
Oh, don't worry about that. I was just curious as to why this finish seems to call people to defend it so much. So are springers easy to install? 8)

I don't usually mess with paint if it's doing it's job (unless it's ridiculously garish), but do I care what you do with your bike? Only on the periphery. :) 8) If someone doesn't want you to, give them a price. :wink: :mrgreen:

Gururyan said:
Tater said:
Do what you want with it. Life is too short to bother with letting others shape your aesthetic sensibility.
Oh, don't worry about that. I was just curious as to why this finish seems to call people to defend it so much. So are springers easy to install? 8)
Springers are not difficult to install as long as the headtube length on your Kona matches the springer. If they differ you can modify the springer but it can be tricky. Also if you put a tank on it the springer will most likely dent the front of your tank when the wheel is turned fully to either side.It will look sweet tho! Good score on the bike by the way.Its almost identical to a Cook Bros.

Some bikes don't need new paint. That's one of them.

But that's only my opinion. Do what you want with it! If you feel that you would like it more a different color then paint it a different color. :mrgreen:

I'm with you. Paint it, and make it your own. Some might not like my ROLLFAST "Like A Bad Penny" because it is a Frankenbike. You know what....? I do not care. It is mine. From the seat & handlegrips to where the tread finds the pavement it is just the way I like it, and that is all that matters.

Back