Thread Chaser or Die Sizes for Front/Rear Axles?

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Here's another of many questions I have when I'm laying in bed at night. I've got several good hubs that I'm rebuilding, all New Departure and Bendix stuff, but the axle threads are a little buggered up. Messed up threads are a pet peeve of mine, I like'm nice and smooth all the way through.
What size thread is the front and rear axles?

On most old american made bikes with SAE size threads.
Front 5/16" X 24 tpi.
Rear 3/8" X 24 tpi.
However there are some variations such as German, British, etc, built hubs that are different.

This would be a great opportunity for some of you English /Metric measurement guru's to chime in and bring us all up to date on front and rear axle thread diameters and pitches that have been manufactured to ISO/JSO thread standards, even up to what we find current on bicycles today. Especially, if they were used by Sturmey Archer, Brompton Metals,
Sachs, Shimano, Campy, and others over the years? Thanks!!!

You can buy a file that will repair threads if they are not too bad. I got mine from the machine shop where I worked but you can probably google one up. They look like this. Gary
DSC04138.jpg

DSC04139.jpg

DSC04140.jpg

DSC04141.jpg

Latest posts

Back