Threaded vs threadless

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
OK, this has been bugging me for a while - is there a significant difference between threaded versus threadless headsets, with regards to the head tube itself?

What I mean is, can someone get away with either 1) installing a 1" threadless headset and fork on older bike, as long as the crown race diameter (26.4mm) and cup press diameter (30mm) matched; or 2) could I take a fork intended for a 1" threadless headset,(again, with the same crown race size) and apparently the same steer tube diameter (25.4mm), and just cut it to length and cut threads onto as required? I have a 1"-24 TPI die for the thread in question, so that part shouldn't be an issue.

Is it that simple, or am I missing something that prevents me from doing one of these?

Well, Im no more an 'authority' on this than anything else.......but, Ive considered the same thing (and worked on both a bit) and came from a motorcycle mechanic background.
So.....
The threaded top race and nut assembly hold the adj. and the fork on. You can use the conventional quill stem, or the adapter stem to take the clamp on 'threadless' handlebar stem.
The threadless also allows a fine adj. of the bearings, and, via the clamp on stem (or, if a 'triple tree' fork, the top clamp also does this) and holds the fork on.
Given that if the cups fit the frame, and the races fit the steer stem and the bearings run correctly, there is no downside to using either, unless you are paranoid about not having the fork 'bolted' on. I guess serious mountain bikes are using threadless, so that really shouldnt be an issue. If you arent convinced, a long bolt can be run on the threadless to cap it off top and bottom and it wont get away.
I like the threadless because it allows me to swap bar/stem assemblies easily with just loosening a couple of capscrews and slipping the whole thing off the steertube.
The only problem I can see is maybe with a springer fork where that spring bracket, that slips down the steertube, may need to be 'cinched up'; that might be a chore with a threadless, though Im sure it has been done.

Part of my thinking was that it would be easier to run a front disc brake by using a fork designed for it. Any that I've come across with a caliper mount was for a threadless headset. Also, I've got a late model Schwinn cruiser (a '09 Classic AL3) frame that takes a 1-1/8" threaded headset. Not real common, that. So, by rights, this would open up the possibility of all sorts of things for that frame. Actually, my post-war Paramount Tandem also has a 1-1/8" threaded headset...

Im thinkin' that if you use the races that go with the cups & bearing, and fit them to the threadless steerstem, you have it; but the proof is in the doing. The way of it being hung together, threaded or threadless is 6 o' 1 half doz. of the other.

expjawa said:
OK, this has been bugging me for a while - is there a significant difference between threaded versus threadless headsets, with regards to the head tube itself?

What I mean is, can someone get away with either 1) installing a 1" threadless headset and fork on older bike, as long as the crown race diameter (26.4mm) and cup press diameter (30mm) matched; or 2) could I take a fork intended for a 1" threadless headset,(again, with the same crown race size) and apparently the same steer tube diameter (25.4mm), and just cut it to length and cut threads onto as required? I have a 1"-24 TPI die for the thread in question, so that part shouldn't be an issue.

Is it that simple, or am I missing something that prevents me from doing one of these?

1- yes. many folks have upgraded older 1" road frames to 1" threadless carbon forks, for instance.

2- the I.D. of the steerer tube would be just as important for a quill stem, and of course it would need to be steel.

given the relative scarcity of 1" threadless forks, other than #1 i'm not sure how many possibilities this really opens up....

by far the most common threadless/threaded scenario is replacing an older 1 1/8" threaded suspension fork and headset with a
newer 1 1/8" threadless suspension fork and headset :wink:

Latest posts

Back