threadless headset problem

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CCR

Mouth-Breather
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Bein that its raining ice, Ive been riding circles on my Quadangle in the garage. I used the headset that came with the frame (Cane Creek / VP ball bearing headset) The upper race seems to "pop" every once in a great while when putting on the front brake. It doesnt do it so much when riding but i can lock the front brake and push forward when stopped and make it do the "pop" thing. Tried tightening the compression nut but then you start noticing a drag in the bearings. The only other thing I could think of is the spacers stack contributing to the wiggle in the upper race (5mm/20mm/5mm).

What do you think my problem is besides a 250#guy on a 20" BMX ? :lol:

IMG_3642.jpg

Sounds like one of the bearings are shot, maybe theres even a crank/dent in one of the races.

Is that bike stock? or was it brought up to look like that?
Because thats awesome.

I've had them out and the bearing cages looked fine, nothing but grease in there. I know the freewheels SE sent out seem to be junk so know I'm thinking the bearings might not be the greatest either. I'll probably just replace it with a sealed headset I suppose.

Bike started as just a 2008 limited frame but came with the seat post clamp and headset Dingo. I dont know why but I just really liked the tan and already loved the Quadangles.

caged headsets pop like that if they are a bit worn... ditch the cages and toss a few more balls in there and I bet it goes away... :roll:

does it have a cheesey plastic lower dust seal? i pull a lot of those off new bikes spec'd with inexpensive oem threadless headsets and pitch them in the trash to eliminate that very symptom...... :)

easy fix :roll: ... bad bottom bearing, it looked fine loose and still on the bike, off the bike and compared to the other it looks like an oval instead of bearing round.

mikesbikes36 said:
r these things pricey ? i seen one on c'slist pretty cheap for just the frame ? i thought someone said they were worth a buttload ?

it depends on whether it's from the original era/company or a newer revival of the name. 'se racing' is a good bmx example. 'masi' road bikes and 'salsa' mountain bikes are a couple others.... :)

mikesbikes36 said:
r these things pricey ? i seen one on c'slist pretty cheap for just the frame ? i thought someone said they were worth a buttload ?

well, its not made of gold if thats what you mean, the originals are worth some money right now, but the newer ones like this one probably wont ever be worth more than what youve got in them. the "limited editions" usually drop in price by about 50% when the clearouts come around.

Latest posts

Back