three fresh ones...

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I was in Buffalo today to pick up a bike from my niece. But as it happened, there was a guy about a mile away selling two older bikes as well, so I came home with all three. This is the JC Higgins that I went there for:

P1014122.jpg

And the other two, a Firestone Cruiser girls bike, which looks very similar to my Monark Rocket:
P1014133.jpg

And a Schwinn-built BF Goodrich:
P1014128.jpg

The Firestone has the same carrier and fenders as my Rocket, plus a similar (but smaller) sprocket. The Goodrich looks to be original down to the skip-tooth chain, with the possible exception of the fork and front wheel. Shouldn't the fork on a post-war Schwinn be a forged flat-blade? This is tubular, with a crown similar to maybe an AMF (it looks like the one on both of my AMF Roadmasters). And while the rear wheel looks Schwinn, the front doesn't match.

The serial on the Goodrich, under the BB, is H271387. I take that make it a '51, built on 7/24. The Firestone has a serial and model number on a riveted tag under the BB shell. The paint down there was almost entirely gone, but the tag was barely legible. I think the serial is A0972930, but I'm not sure about the "7" or the "2". When I first looked at it, I thought those characters were "2" & "9", and I'm still not sure. The stamped numbers are very faint. Both of these bikes appear to be in good shape at a glance, but have some significant surface rust in places. One interesting point is that they both have late '60s city of Bugffalo registration plates. I'm not sure if they're worth anything, but they are cool...

Very cool. To answer your question there is some value there. Most times girl's bikes are worth the equivalent of their parts. You got a nice JC Higgins Beehive springer, skirt guards, rear fender with mud flap, a killer rack, and decent wheel set on the Higgins.

The Firestone has truss rods, nice rack, tank, decent wheel set, nice fenders, exc. I'd find a chain guard for it and keep it together. It's a nice original bike.

The Schwinn definitely has some value, original paint in really good shape, skip-tooth, and not missing any big ticket items. Throw a seat on it and call it done. Also looks like it should have the coke bottle grips which you can get from memory lane classics. Also missing the torpedo light if the truss rods are original and the fender has holes for it. If not it may have been a base model that had them added. Looks like it should have a hairpin seat too like this:
1952_04.jpg

Awesome finds.

Both the Firestone & the Goodrich have fender holes for a light. Actually, what I was referring to by "not sure if they're worth anything" were the Buffalo registration plates. Clearly, the bikes themselves have some value. If they didn't, I wouldn't have paid for them! :mrgreen: I am curious about the fork on the Goodrich though. I'm guessing that someone must have had a run-in with it that wrecked the fork and front wheel, and they were replaced with whatever worked. The bike does look like it was equipped like the Equipped Standard, however, it's the straightbar frame, not the DX frame. But maybe the BF Goodrich bikes were built in different option combinations...

Latest posts

Back