Thunder Jet

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I don't know much about this one. Manufacturer, Year, etc. Head badge says "Chain Bike Corp." Early Ross? Serial # 5674321. Bullet hole in tank really sets it off! No exit hole and no slug, but a nice dent on the other side. I think I will give this one just enough attention to make it ride-able and nothing more. I would appreciate any info y'all might have! Oh yeah, this was a $30 find.
IMG_9472.jpg

IMG_9477.jpg

IMG_9482.jpg

IMG_9481.jpg

Lovin' it!!! I got 3 different Thunder Jets. Real unique bikes and yes, they evolved into the Ross bicycle Co.

MO3.jpg

The pics a bit fuzzy but does the badge say Rockaway Beach ,New York? I've only seen these bikes in pictures.

cman said:
Those are the best FAT tank bike around. The fork looks a little bent.

Good call on the bent fork..
Nice bike ..I only have a few tankers..(ladies) :oops: Cant find a Mens model to save my life..But it's out there waiting for me..lol

oh Love the bullet hole adds some character to it..!

Chain Bike was the co. that owned the Ross name. They also made a lot of store brand bikes, like the Thunder Jet. I don't know what store sold them. These are all the earlier stlye bikes, late 50s -very early 60s. Later they had redesigned frames that were close to Murray's Flightliner + Spaceliner frames. -Adam

Spokeshave said:
The pics a bit fuzzy but does the badge say Rockaway Beach ,New York? I've only seen these bikes in pictures.
Yes that is what the head badge says.
cman said:
Those are the best FAT tank bike around. The fork looks a little bent.
Yeah the fork is bent for sure, it barely turns inside the steering tube. I might have to pull a rabbit out of my hat in order to get the fork out!

I think i have an extra fork if your original proves to be too hard to fix. It is an original black and white one.

Joe

Way cool. Kinda weird a bike company being in Rockaway Beach,NY. It's a strip of ocean front beach that had summer bungalos,small local beach houses and a amusement park. Now condos and high rises.
I want one even more now knowing they were made/headquartered here in Queens county,NYC.
Great find!

"Rock,Rock,Rockaway Beach"

Nice bike, I was just ganna say that Joey(yeshoney) has a couple of those :mrgreen:

SCHWINNRAY69 said:
Nice bike, I was just ganna say that Joey(yeshoney) has a couple of those :mrgreen:

He just sold an awesome frame with tank and guard. First I've seen of these bikes, now I want one!

yeshoney said:
Lovin' it!!! I got 3 different Thunder Jets. Real unique bikes and yes, they evolved into the Ross bicycle Co.

MO3.jpg

How did you get the white paint Thunderjet logo restored over the rust? Did you paint it yourself? I have a woman's thunderjet that I'd like to restore to RatRod condition, but don't know what kind of paint to use so that it doesn't look freshly painted. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

5L75Ib5Hc3K93Id3N8c45cc3ef5d3d4c214cd.jpg

I sent it to this bike shop down the street from me to have them clean it up and for some reason they painted over everything! I was so ....... pissed! They gave me what I paid for it and my bike back. It took me 2 days to remove the top layer and in the process, a lot of the white detail faded. I want to restore the white.

TheFlyingDingo said:
thats HILARIOUS.

The Thunder Jet i found, had a bullet hole in it.

GREAT find too!

Is it possible the hole is from a pre-existing tank horn common on many tanks from this era?

whatsup guys, i too have a thunder jet (mens frame) that i'm rat rodding out. the only downside is lack of authentic parts, but even without it looks too sick. will post pictures of it after i paint it.

Latest posts

Back