Tight Spokes

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My building came to a halt, and I have both my rear 7 speed rims , so I decided to unlace one.
The spokes are so tight you won't get them loose with a spoke wrench. They turn some but don't
come loose. I decided to cut them. A word of warning ....Don't stand it front of the spoke when you
cut it. They come out like a bullet. I still haven't found any of the first few. I had some 14g stainless
spokes out of an old rim . They were 10 3/8 long and I used a old Schwinn script front hub. They worked
perfect. Came out to the slot like I knew what I was doing. So now I have a silver set with a 7 speed on
the Electra rims. I'm going to lace the other 7 speed to another set of rims. Was a heck of a deal. :wink:

I think there are going to be a lot of these stories (minus the stainless projectiles) coming out.

well you got my attention.
I just went out in the garage and tried 2 spokes on 2 wheels (front and back - 3 spd) and found nothing unusual.
They turned easily using the red spoke wrench.

I was cutting spokes to get rims before the Christmas parade for the rodeo bike, the first couple shot out like you described, one was a near hit to the face, so when Cody walked over I aimed and hit him with one, not the most effective weapon, but it works.

Jerry it must have just been my wheel. I will try the other one and see what happens. I would like
to have kept the spokes all new and everything. Not a biggie though.

UPDATE: my other 7 speed the spokes worked fine. I guess I chose the wrong one to
take apart.

well, I'm somewhat relieved. I have two more wheels, I didn't try. :D

The spokes feel tight, but the nipples turned.

The wheel building machine may of been out of adjustment. Maybe that is why some of this stuff is on sale.

Always use the right tool for the job. Those cheap spoke wrenches with 5 or 6 sizes are not it.

Ok are you insinuating I have cheap tools. I have a park chain brake , but yea I have the junk
spoke tool. I bought a couple parks , and lost them in the shuffle.
As a side note , I have never seen spokes that tight. I'm glad its the one I respoked. Its fine now.

Uncle Stretch said:
My building came to a halt, ... The spokes are so tight you won't get them loose with a spoke wrench. They turn some but don't come loose.... Was a heck of a deal. :wink:

I have had similar issues with current built chinese wheels, and not just the cheapest generic brands, but the most expensive supposedly highest quality as well. I have professional quality wrenches, but found that none fit quite right or could budge many of the spokes... I don't know if they use an adhesive to lock them, or the nipples are poorly formed, or the material is too soft, or the parts are poorly machined, or ??? I have better success with rusty 75 year old american wheels than 3 year old current products! :(

Back