Tightening ape hangers

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im trying to keep my ape hangers from moving, is there a way to do it like drilling into the bar or something that will make it stay?

What stem do you have? A good 4 bolt bmx stem will usually cure the slipping problem with tall apes.

What stem do you have? A good 4 bolt bmx stem will usually cure the slipping problem with tall apes.
I have the four bolt stem but it still slides.my only other idea would be to drill a hole through the stem and put a bolt through but would that work?

Some of the bmx style stem are cheaply made and don't have the clamping force that the better ones do. As long as you have a 7/8" clamp on the stem and a 7/8" bar, a good stem should hold. But, I don't see any reason that your idea would not work. I would probably try a 5/16" diameter bolt in a grade 5 or 8. Do your bars and stem have teeth/ grooves in the clamp area or are they smooth?

Some of the bmx style stem are cheaply made and don't have the clamping force that the better ones do. As long as you have a 7/8" clamp on the stem and a 7/8" bar, a good stem should hold. But, I don't see any reason that your idea would not work. I would probably try a 5/16" diameter bolt in a grade 5 or 8. Do your bars and stem have teeth/ grooves in the clamp area or are they smooth?
It has grooves but I think the teeth (if you can call it that) are worn out already

Try a better stem.. I your already running a BMX 4-bolt you won't lose any style points. The old Sakae ones gripped like a vise, just make sure you haven't already crimped your bars.. are they knurled? If I had to drill a hole to make em stable I would do it from the bottom and thread a screw half way into the bars.. Can't see it from the top and don't need a nut..

if the bar and clamp are both 7/8th (or the same OD/ID)
i just posted a solution in the tips from the masters thread.
i bet it'll work for ya.

Back