Tire and finishing opinions.

Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum

Help Support Rat Rod Bikes Bicycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need some input guys. It's been a long time since I've worked on this bike and I've lost some inspiration. First off I need to pick a tire. Thinking Schwable brown Fat Franks but uncertain. Would like a tire larger that 26x2.125. Suggestions needed. Thanks. AL
a453b5f51f01c8e8eab4ebbf861463ec.jpg
52f818b8667bf416d7fc857eefda2ed4.jpg

Brown Franks might do ya nice, but i think Grey Bens would play nicer with your color scheme. I know you have/had "Gulf" stickers on there, so I suspect you ma be going for an old-timey sirvice-station vibe, but for some reason, that bike seems to want some Hookworms on it....

The bike has a lot of color to it already. A bright tire may give it a clowny effect that I'm not going for. Thinking black might not be enough though. It's holding me up on the build for sure right now.

I think white tires would visually pop without looking cartoony, and would still lend to a classic vibe

I was thinking that or maybe even gray. I gotta find a shop nearby that stocks a few colors. Just bring a wheel with me I guess.

I vote the hookworms or a Black tire with a red pin stripe....:grin: let the beautiful paint job do all the talking. Any other color tire would only compete with the paint....my $.02

I vote the hookworms or a Black tire with a red pin stripe....:grin: let the beautiful paint job do all the talking. Any other color tire would only compete with the paint....my $.02
I'm a huge fan of hookworms, they look great on almost any bike and are real quality tire.

-J Wolf

Could you post a close-up of the rim profile? It is hard to tell, but they kind of look like westwoods, which might limit your tire options
I don't have a close up right now but they are worksman wheels. They have that fat rolled lip. I'm only guessing that I can go with 2.50 easy on it. That may be the biggest I want to go anyways. The bike may be getting a motor and I don't want clearance issues.

I think I prefer these over the hookworms. Maybe it's just because they say Nola. But I'm digging them.
5a9e1456a5af7c788004877dc8caf727.jpg
0ed5ebdb0d01db8cd97ad47da500398e.jpg

Just remember that some of these tires we're discussing will take a high PSI, but your rims won't. Worksman rims tend to blow-off the bead at @50psi.

Never got a chance to say this in the other thread you posted this bike in, but that "tank" is awesome. I've been planning on doing something similar with my Heavy Duti for a minute; I'm sure it won't look anywhere near as nice. The whole bike just looks awesome.

As for tire color, I would agree with the above that you probably want to play it "safer", but I also never would've thought of putting those two colors together for the frame, so what do I know :p?

So a quick mock up with a plain black tire. I think it will look well enough with black bars and crank but I'm skeptical if it's good enough. I'm kind of a perfectionist and not sure if black tire kicks enough ..... Let me know honestly guys. Probably going tire shopping tomorrow.
74cf7c680ed45328d19dd67265ae769f.jpg
b230fd0aee78fd6dae35f1abb7e3d3e4.jpg
8327c6f150e1e9529ced7ea0fb161590.jpg

Back